Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2023, 09:38 AM   #1

Newbie needs help

Hi, forgive me if this has already been answered in a previous post. I am new and still trying to learn about the electrical system. It is a bit overwhelming.
I purchased my bus already converted.
The issue is that I was plugged into shore power for a day and since then the battery monitor is showing an empty battery symbol, the word ‘charge’ and the voltage is decreasing.
What should I do?
Attaching a photo from after unplugging yesterday and one of what it is displaying now.
Attached Thumbnails
0D4F814E-43CD-4F21-8B93-7FB2D3D680E6.jpg   9E2068FE-A397-4648-9CCB-F90FC7FEE3E5.jpg  

Busfullofdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:58 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Might be good to take a few pictures of your electrical panel and battery area to share.

That way folks can help you understand what you have and point to possible solutions (or things to investigate).

Did the shore power receptacle have power?

How much power are you using in the bus (lights, heater, etc)?

What types of batteries do you have, and how many amps?
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:24 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busfullofdogs View Post
Hi, forgive me if this has already been answered in a previous post. I am new and still trying to learn about the electrical system. It is a bit overwhelming.
I purchased my bus already converted.
The issue is that I was plugged into shore power for a day and since then the battery monitor is showing an empty battery symbol, the word ‘charge’ and the voltage is decreasing.
What should I do?
Attaching a photo from after unplugging yesterday and one of what it is displaying now.
First thing I would do is google and download the corresponding Victron manual for your system.

Read it, identify your wiring based on the manual prints… and then you’ll have a much better understanding of what is going on.

It almost impossible to help you based on the very little information your providing.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...de-BMV-700.pdf

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...-series-EN.pdf

https://manuals.plus/victron-energy/...#axzz7sq2DmhCB
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:27 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the 700 is more or less and AMp hour counter... 13.09 surely isnt a dead battery on a 12 Volt system.. the 700 has to be set up right so it counts battery amos going in and out.. at least thats how mine works.. so if I charge the battery directly where the 700 doesnt see the amp hours going inbound it shows a low state of charge.. mine has ther ability to set a target voltage to reset it to 100% state of charge ..

if you download the app and pair that to your phone theres all kinds of settings you can alter.. (at leats thats how I work with mine, I use a mobile app).
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:37 AM   #5

I tried synchronizing the battery monitor to a full charge according to the manual and it seemed to fix the issue at first, but this morning I am noticing the numbers decreasing again. Could this have to do with how the shore power connection is hooked up?
Here’s a photo of the powermax converter. It’s connected to the + and - of a battery and a power outlet. I’ve also included a photo where I’ve tried to diagram the electric system.
Attached Thumbnails
DC0BA5FF-6C2D-4D57-A71E-FC8E52372F89.jpg   5E24F992-5692-4802-AE62-63C06589744D.jpg   9440D51A-0954-4915-9A65-6A465DC53A80.jpg  
Old 02-10-2023, 08:42 AM   #6

The first time I was plugged into shore power and I didn’t notice the issue until I unplugged and left that spot. Another day later and I am plugged into shore power again and the issue is continuing even while plugged in.
I have 400ah of lithium batteries.
Power used is just a couple of tape strip lights, mini fridge and vent fan. Including a photo of the monitor reading now.
Attached Thumbnails
BD273239-B960-4941-84FC-27D79F6504AE.jpg  
Old 02-10-2023, 09:36 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
The first time I was plugged into shore power and I didn’t notice the issue until I unplugged and left that spot. Another day later and I am plugged into shore power again and the issue is continuing even while plugged in.
I have 400ah of lithium batteries.
Power used is just a couple of tape strip lights, mini fridge and vent fan. Including a photo of the monitor reading now.
From the picture it's drawing 3 amps, so you definitely have a small load on the battery.

The Shunt is a mystery. It should be right at the negative terminal, and no load returns (negative wires) should connect to that except through it, otherwise you're not measuring all the current used. Is that the case?

And this is a 12V system, correct?

And your diagram has three batteries, but I only see two in the picture. The shunt is either incorrectly captured in the diagram or improperly wired because the charger appears to be connected to the negative terminal of the battery (in which case the charging will not be registered on the shunt).

I recommend you physically check voltages-go get an inexpensive multimeter if you don't already have one and watch Ross' video if needed. Check the actual voltage of the system to make sure there's not something else interfering with the voltage readout on the monitor.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:12 AM   #8

Oh right, I have since replaced the 3 agm batteries with 2 lithium. I tried to keep the wiring the same.
The shunt has both batteries connected from the negative and then there’s a connection from the positive of one battery going to the top of the shunt.
Attached Thumbnails
A914BE9C-A928-4303-B137-444A619DDFAE.jpg  
Old 02-10-2023, 12:54 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Oh right, I have since replaced the 3 agm batteries with 2 lithium. I tried to keep the wiring the same.
The shunt has both batteries connected from the negative and then there’s a connection from the positive of one battery going to the top of the shunt.
If you'd like to talk directly on the phone that works-just DM me with your number.

It looks like the shunt is not properly wired to pick up the current flows. Happy to point you in the right direction, but it's a conversation.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:20 PM   #10

Thanks so much. I sent you a dm.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:19 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Got it. Was gone for the weekend, texted you this morning.