Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2021, 08:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 37+1
Not Starting Without Condenser Wire

My had two separate A/C systems. One in front, and one above the back door. I am keeping the front unit. The back unit, which will be replaced with a mini split, has already been removed. I just need to remove its condenser (to make room for my gray tank), and hopefully its generator too. I pulled the coolant hoses, and the wire that ran from the condenser to the generator. It was then I discovered the bus would no longer start. I used a long test wire to verify if that was what was causing the bus to not start, and it appears so. I am guessing there must be a sensor or a circuit that cannot be severed between the condenser and generator in order for the bus to start. Any ideas on how I can remedy this in order to eliminated the condenser?

Here are photos of the condenser and generator with test wire attached:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/193905.../shares/wybjEf
https://www.flickr.com/photos/193905.../shares/b41987

Dawn

Old 10-11-2021, 09:53 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

A/C Compressor Relay

I have since learned that it is a compressor, and not a generator . Also that there must be a relay or a rheostat, somewhere on the engine that may play a part in the circuit. Since I have already removed the A/C switch and its wires, finding the relay may be more difficult since I will not be able to trace the wires to find the relay.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:24 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
does the condenser have to be running for the bus to start? what does the bus do if the wire isnt connected? is that the condenser positive or ground? (or does it get its ground from the bus frame?)..

chances are a circuit got cut that shouldnt and that condenser is its pathway to ground.. the test wire. . where are you connecting the other end of it? was it something on the A/C relay board you are connecting the other end to?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:31 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'm guessing that in your deconstruction and removal you have one of the safety interlocks disturbed. Either the emergency door or one of the windows. So check all of that, and check that the bus is in neutral as well.

I don't think there's a component in the ac system that will prevent the bus from starting, unless in your tear down you removed a component that wasn't actually part of the a/c system. More then likely, one of the interlocks is at fault here.
Old 07-25-2023, 11:38 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry for the late reply, been working on other projects until now. All safety interlocks were removed prior to me purchasing the bus. Lucky me. So no interlocks came into play.
Old 07-25-2023, 11:56 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
does the condenser have to be running for the bus to start? what does the bus do if the wire isnt connected? is that the condenser positive or ground? (or does it get its ground from the bus frame?)..

chances are a circuit got cut that shouldnt and that condenser is its pathway to ground.. the test wire. . where are you connecting the other end of it? was it something on the A/C relay board you are connecting the other end to?
After a long winter break and then working on other projects I was back on this issue. If the test wire wasn’t connected (condenser —-> compressor), then the bus would not start. With only one wire going to the compressor, that would mean the bus itself was the ground. To fix that I figured I needed to remove the rest of the components, the condenser and compressor. Once I did that it started right up. Thanks for the feedback. It really helped.

Tags
air conditioning, condenser, electrical