Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #1

Odd shore power/genny situation

My family and I are currently in progress on our '79 International Harvester skoolie build. After a lot of "research" and reading I have decided I don't want to deal with a battery bank/inverter set up right now. The reason being is I will always be right next to shore power and have a generator for back up. The bus will be parked here for 98 percent of the time and only moved when off loading grey water tank and when the space is needed for events (thats when we will use the generator). Here is my question and I think it odd but I want some advice or at least thoughts. The shore power I can hook up to is a 20 amp GFCI plug but I will have 2 or more 20 amp circuits within 50' of the bus. I am wondering if it is possible/a good idea to have 2 - 20 amp circuits in the bus each with a plug for shore power on the outside plugged in with 2 different shore power 20 amp circuits. When not near the shore power I would replicate this using my 8000 watt generator that have and A and B 20 amp circuit breakers and plugs. Does this sound reasonable or doable?

browningcrew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
No real problem with that setup. However you would #12 AWG or larger extansion cords to be sure your cables can handle the 20 amps.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:01 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Yes to the two 20 amp power sources, especially if you need to heat or cool your bus.

You would need two separate power inputs and breaker panels, though some have been known to use a couple of quality extension cords to achieve the same effect.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote