Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Re: Onan generators

i was able to download onan generator manual for a bfa from the internet. If you find the main small engine bulletin board (i forgot what it is at the moment)they will have a section about generators, as they have the manuals for many of the different ones. I have a 4K bfa, and of course am looking for another one to put next to my engine as a backup gen source...
post what your problem is, and i might be able to check the manual if you don't find it online.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I dont have the web address but search smoke stack antique engines. Theyy have a section on old Onans set aside under generatorss. You will need model#, serial# and spec# of the tag on the gen set to get reliable answers

Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

yesssss. that is the one...
Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

if the fuel pump isnt working all the time, and it cranks slow, then my guess of course, like you said is that it is in the 12v system... and i would suspect the main leads. my gen set has the ground going to the foot of the base of the generator, and the hot lead to the solinoid inside the panel. mine was doing the same thing, and i cleaned all of the attaching points with a wire brush, and put new larger cables on. I then was able to get the fuel pump to run very well, and the thing to crank over like it should. My gen set is attached to 32 or so foot welding cables that the copper cable itself is 3/4 in diameter. It is a long run.
There are also a lot of connectors inside the panel in mine, with relays, switches, etc, and most of the connectors had some corrosion as well even though the generator only had 19 hours on it... was sitting way too many years with no use...
I am taking the northern route.. try to avoid calif...
Old 05-04-2012, 05:43 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

just because you have 12 volts doesnt mean that you have enough amperage to make the genset work. as i mentioned before, i had corrosion at most of the wire ends, and also changed out the hot wire and the ground and completely cleaned all grounding points as my genset had 12v but wouldnt crank fast, or had enough spark. i also took the fuel pump lead wire off of the + side of the coil and placed it close to the power feed to eliminate the extra wire going back out of the panel, and to not suck power from the coil which needs all it can get. i have put several hei distributors in 350 chevy engines, and one needs both a number 10 size wire going to that, as well as the chevy starter solinoid. my onan has number 12 or 14 wires (dont remember which) and when it is dry i am going to re do them to number 10 from the main hot lead to the coil, and from the coil to the point box.
i still think you have either a ground connection problem, or bad connection close to the solinoid. you also need a really good high amp hr battery and extremely good power and ground cables.