Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2021, 10:56 PM   #1

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Overwhelmed. Need video shore and 12v

I'm so overwhelmed. I've spent hours watching videos to find one explaining electrical in detail. We do my y want solar yet. We are starting with shore power and 12 v. Can anyone point me to a good resource that explains it? A friend gave us an intelipower 9200 but I honestly don't know what to do with it.

edgeuk8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:15 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I've felt overwhelmed many times during my conversion. I think many of us have. Sometimes the best thing to do is step away for a day or two and let all you've taken in settle.

It's helpful when you start a thread to provide as much clarity and detail in what your issue is and what you're seeking.

If I interpret your post correctly, you are asking for information on how to install shore power and 12v power initially, and then solar afterwards. Is that correct?

You apparently also have a unit, yet we need to know details about the unit. Is it an inverter, a charger or a combination inverter/charger. What are the ratings.

If it's an inverter, it will be the number of watts.
If it's a charger, it will be the number of amps.
Obviously, a combo will include both.

What is the rating in amps (amp = a) that it can handle from shore power? Generally it will be 30a or 50a.

These details will help others provide you with better feedback.

Per videos, I would watch one on each individual aspect of the electrical system, versus one that covers it all.

Remember how you eat a steak, on bite at a time.

I'd search on YouTube for:
Basic Inverter RV
Basic Charger RV
Basic Battery RV
Basic Shore Power RV

These searches should give you good introductions about each element of the system. Generally, they will include a bit about one or more of the other three, because they are all integrated as part of an electrical system.

The basics are these.
Inverter - Takes 12v DC from the batteries and "inverts" it into 120v AC.

Charger - Takes shore power, 30a, 50a or generator AC and charges your batteries.

Battery - https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...-systems.html/

Shore - 30a is for basic AC items, like microwave, A/C (air conditioning), etc. 50a is for bigger rigs that may be running two A/C units, big screen t.v., microwave, etc. all at the same time.

Generators - They need to be quiet so as to not disturb your camping neighbors. Imagine how wonderful it would be if all the campers were running noisy generators in the peaceful outdoors.

They need to be able to run, in general, the same items you would run if connected directly to shore power, but maybe only one or two at a time.

Finally, the type of electricity they use matters. A regular generator makes AC, but it may not be clean enough for sensitive electronics, like computers, to run on. Inverter Generators make AC power, converts it to DC and inverts it back to very clean AC. Some say it's cleaner than the AC that is supplied by the grid.

Research and understand each of these components individually, they will cross over as you learn and pretty soon you'll be putting the pieces together.

Best of luck.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:46 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeuk8tr View Post
I'm so overwhelmed. I've spent hours watching videos to find one explaining electrical in detail. We do my y want solar yet. We are starting with shore power and 12 v. Can anyone point me to a good resource that explains it? A friend gave us an intelipower 9200 but I honestly don't know what to do with it.
I'll put this as simply as possible.
You have a 12v radio hooked to your battery (through a fuse) and it makes music. With your 9200 you hook up your radio to one of the outputs on the 9200. You then hook the 9200 to your battery and, again, it makes music. Then you plug in the 9200 to shore power and it makes 12 volts for your radio and also provides some charge to the battery. It will automatically switch from battery power to shore power. They're very simple devices and generally have a few fused outputs for your various needs.
You can do it
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:57 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: Cat 3126b 210 HP 605 ftlbs
The intelipower 9200 is a power converter, it takes the shore power (120v ac or 240v AC depending on the model) and converts it to DC voltage 13.6v. Dc voltage is what your batteries put out. It will also charge you batteries when plugged in. Think of it similar to you alternator on your bus, but it creates the voltage from being plugged into shore power or a generator ( ac voltage source).
ism minerals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #5

Coachwork: Corbeil
Thank y'all so much! I need to get wiring and outlets ordered so we can build walls soon. In every other aspect of the build, I've found step by step videos. Electrical seems to be another subject. My husband has electrical experience but this is so different starting from scratch. I'm sure I'm driving him crazy.
edgeuk8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:54 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeuk8tr View Post
Thank y'all so much! I need to get wiring and outlets ordered so we can build walls soon. In every other aspect of the build, I've found step by step videos. Electrical seems to be another subject. My husband has electrical experience but this is so different starting from scratch. I'm sure I'm driving him crazy.
Hello from KY! Sometimes it helps to have a real time conversation with someone to ask questions, get clarification, etc- if you're interested PM me and we can set something up.

Full disclosure: I'm no professional or expert, just someone who built their own electrical in their bus.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:20 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Rated Cap: 25
I have another question along these lines. I am getting ready to install my charging system. I will have solar and alternator charging for travelling. I also have an Intellipower converter which will mainly be used to maintain the battery when we're parked under the carport at home. Most people use a 30 or 50 amp shorepower connection but I don't see having a high demand. Could I get away with a 20amp connection and avoid the big cable and adapter? The converter looks to have a standard 110v input. Our power needs are pretty low- LEDs, 12v Novakool fridge, diesel heater.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
I have another question along these lines. I am getting ready to install my charging system. I will have solar and alternator charging for travelling. I also have an Intellipower converter which will mainly be used to maintain the battery when we're parked under the carport at home. Most people use a 30 or 50 amp shorepower connection but I don't see having a high demand. Could I get away with a 20amp connection and avoid the big cable and adapter? The converter looks to have a standard 110v input. Our power needs are pretty low- LEDs, 12v Novakool fridge, diesel heater.
Looks up 120 volt flanged power adapter. You can get them in 15, 20, 30 amps. If you put one in make sure to use a decent 14 (15a) or 12 (20a) guage, grounded, extension cord.
For what it sounds like, you really just need a small battery charger that you can use at home.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:12 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Rated Cap: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
Looks up 120 volt flanged power adapter. You can get them in 15, 20, 30 amps. If you put one in make sure to use a decent 14 (15a) or 12 (20a) guage, grounded, extension cord.
For what it sounds like, you really just need a small battery charger that you can use at home.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I don't anticipate a lot of use, but I got the converter basically free. Maybe I should err on the side of "what if" and go 30amp in case I find myself wanting to run a small electric heater some day.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:16 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I'll share links that I've saved for my build regarding power and electricity; I have not fully re-reviewed this but perhaps they may help:

My note: Site:
Eletrical Tips & How to's School Bus Conversion - Electrical
Elec, How to power the vehicle
TrailsBy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #11

You might try this website..https://www.explorist.life/
explorest.life website. If you register (Free) you will find many diagrams and lots of usefull info on designing your system.
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote