Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Almost There

Panels/batteries

Any recommendations on brands for panels and batteries also charge controller inverter I’m new not looking for too much power maybe 300 watts just getting started trying not to break the bank

Lherrlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
There are two routes most folk take when selecting solar components.

Some will buy a "kit" with all of the correct components matched up and included in the kit. This is a more expensive option but is beneficial to those that are new to solar. Having a preconfigured system and tech support a phone call away does have value.

The alternative is to design the system yourself and shop the individual components. You can save $ this way but the learning side of it can be time consuming.

I recently installed a system in a buddies bus that he bought from Renogy. From what I have seen of their kits, I would not hesitate to buy from them.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
There are two routes most folk take when selecting solar components.

Some will buy a "kit" with all of the correct components matched up and included in the kit. This is a more expensive option but is beneficial to those that are new to solar. Having a preconfigured system and tech support a phone call away does have value.

The alternative is to design the system yourself and shop the individual components. You can save $ this way but the learning side of it can be time consuming.

I recently installed a system in a buddies bus that he bought from Renogy. From what I have seen of their kits, I would not hesitate to buy from them.

I was looking at a 200 watt kit from them which batteries did y’all use? Also is a pwm enough or do I need a mppt?.
Lherrlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
We installed a significantly larger system. It was over 1200 watts and we used 4 x L16 batteries.

Take a look at Renogy's sizing calculator: https://www.renogy.com/calculators/

That will help you size your components.

MPPT controllers are more efficient and more flexible. If you are on a really tight budget PWM may be your lowest cost option. If budget allows, I would strongly recommend MPPT.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Well, I bought (10) hundred watt Grape Solar 12 volt panels from Home Depot for $89 each with free shipping, only because the price was right. But only then did I get serious about solar controllers. With an MPPT unit you can hook up the panels in series, much easier than wiring panels in parallel which you generally need to do with a PWM controller, and the MPPT controller can harvest more power from the panels for battery charging.

Then there is the battery bank. 12 volt, 24 volt, 48 volt? A higher voltage bank has a definite increase in system efficiency.

Go to the MorningStar string calculator: String Calculator » Morningstar Corporation , and play around with it. Select panels that fit your bus build, and see what works. A quality MPPT controller costs big money, so you want to buy as few of those as you have to. The cheap ones don't seem to last all that long.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 11:14 PM   #6

To Choose suitable inverter and storage battery is important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lherrlinger View Post
Any recommendations on brands for panels and batteries also charge controller inverter I’m new not looking for too much power maybe 300 watts just getting started trying not to break the bank
well, if you are looking for a solar panel, Renogy 300 watts solar panel is good choice, and you can also get charge controller from victron, Besides,if you need a suitable inverter and solar lithium battery, you can refer to this post about choosing an inverter for an rv before you make a decision,Hope this would be a little help for you,
michael80697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, battery bank, energy, solar, solar panels