Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2021, 05:16 PM   #1

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Amtran / International
Chassis: 14 Window 40' RE
Engine: International DT466E 7.6 Diesel / Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: About a Thousand kids
Please help find a fuse

Maybe it's been posted before, I can't find it.
Got a 2003 International Amtran RE DT466E
I was painting my interior, and removed an overhead stereo and all the stock bus speakers (5 of them) and my dome light lenses. I Had full intentions of putting all of it back.
I painted.....
Put everything back in and now I don't have power to the following, my dome lights (driver and bus), stereo head unit, front fans, windsheild wipers, and my emergency door buzzer is NOT going off even though my emergency doors are open. All of these things worked before I removed the speakers. Engine will start up but I have none of the above systems in key accessory or running.
My thoughts are a fuse is blown, but I can't find a label for any of the above. I'm searching in the panel under driver window and I've searched under the driver steering column, nothing there.
Does anybody have any idea where this fuse might be or if I may have some other problem that I'm overlooking?

Old 01-11-2021, 06:34 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Check for loose ground wires. The only fuses in my bluebird are the ones I added the factory used circuit breakers.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:46 PM   #3

Does it make sense that the stereo, dome lights, front fans, windshield wipers are all on the same circuit?
Old 03-28-2021, 06:21 AM   #4

Solved

So I put an inline fuse running from the ignition key accessory switch directly to the accessory fuse panel.
First it blew a 15 amp fuse, then I put a 30 amp fuse and it melted the fuse holder, so I knew something was drawing alot of power.
Used a power probe to find that the side emergency door buzzer was shorting out, even though it wasn't buzzing. Disconnected it, and now my inline fuse rolls around with a 7 amp fuse and is cool to the touch.
I have regained my winsheild wipers, fan blowers, power mirrors, headlights, radio, and dome lights.
Call me the electrical wizard! (actually I needed help with this, shout out to Joel, thanks again buddy!)
Old 03-28-2021, 10:08 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
So I put an inline fuse running from the ignition key accessory switch directly to the accessory fuse panel.
First it blew a 15 amp fuse, then I put a 30 amp fuse and it melted the fuse holder, so I knew something was drawing alot of power.
Used a power probe to find that the side emergency door buzzer was shorting out, even though it wasn't buzzing. Disconnected it, and now my inline fuse rolls around with a 7 amp fuse and is cool to the touch.
I have regained my winsheild wipers, fan blowers, power mirrors, headlights, radio, and dome lights.
Call me the electrical wizard! (actually I needed help with this, shout out to Joel, thanks again buddy!)
Putting an oversized fuse in a circuit that's got issues is a reasonably fast way to burn your bus down, or, at least, burn up a wiring harness. You're lucky the fuse holder failed before the wiring.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #6

Agreed

I agree with you, didn't know if the 15 amp was big enough for powering all the accessories, so I had to try. After it blew the 30 amp fuse I knew there was a bigger problem. Lesson learned.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:04 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Slow down!

Stop messing with circuits that worked perfectly before.

I believe your issue may simply be that all those devices are part of the bus ground.

I'm a bit sketchy on the exact details, but my bus is based on a negative ground. Meaning, the dome lights, speaker and buzzers all have to be have to be touching the "bare" metal of the bus to be grounded and to complete the circuit.

I'm suspecting, when you painted and reattached these items, there is not a sufficient amount of ground to the bus.

When I went to put back my dome lights, they would not go on until I touched the metal of the light fixture to the bare frame of the bus.

Hope this works for you.

Best of luck.

Tags
dome lights, fuse location, stereo speakers, wipers