Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #1

Pre wired Nurses bus electrical questions in Homosassa fl

Hello Just picked up this bus from Local School auction. Was wired as a Mobile Clinic 2 roof ACs and here are the plugs. I was wondering how to wire new plug to feed Bus.

whipteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #2

piks

Pictures of bus wiring
Old 08-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #3

Pictures of bus

Sorry trying to convert email pictures
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN4861.jpg   DSCN4862.jpg   DSCN4863.jpg   DSCN4866.jpg  
Old 08-06-2020, 10:16 AM   #4

Ok converted pikc Thank You In advance

Ok converted pikc Thank You In advance Karl
Attached Thumbnails
schoolie outlet.jpg  
Old 08-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #5

I have a 3 prong dryer out let in back of shop just wondering if this plug is viable. For travel RV campground hookups ? There is no generator so would like to run AC s off generator while traveling.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
You need more pictures of the actual wiring.

Those plugs are a 4 prong twistlock plug, but without seeing where the wires in those plugs connect to, it's anyone's guess.

Was there a generator on the bus at one time?

Maybe the generator fed power to the female twistlock, and the operator could connect the male twistlock to either the generator power, or a shore power connector.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:41 AM   #7

Yes I am a guessing it was a generator deal from the start

Yes, I am guessing it was a generator deal from the start. That sounds like how they powered the bus. There is no generator under the bus. I would guess a 6000 KW Gen would run AC s. The whole bus is wired with plugs, Just wondered how to convert to Plug and Play RV sites. Conversion Plug?
Old 08-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
Bus Geek

I assume you mean 6000 watt or 6kW. A 6000kW generator would be 6 MW, which is enough to power a town.

A 6kW generator would be marginal IMO. You need roughly 3000 watt per ac unit, so running 2 would put you at your rating. Granted each unit won't be consuming 3000 watts the entire time it's operating, but I typically try to oversize my generator capacity so that I'm not overworking it.

You'll have to see what size twistlock you have. They make adapter plugs that will take you from a twistlock plug to a 50 amp rv pedestal plug. You can find an example of one HERE.

As far as connecting it to the dryer plug in your shop. You'll have to run an appropriately sized neutral wire from the breaker panel to the outlet box, and then swap the current 3 prong dryer outlet over to some sort of 4 prong outlet. Something to match either a 4 prong twistlock outlet or a 4 prong 50 amp rv plug.

If you don't know what you're doing, it's probably best to consult with an electrician and have them do it.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #9

We have two 50 amp plugs here at shop to run taco joint

We have two 50 amp plugs here at shop to run taco joint. Just wondering if I should be LQQking at a plug Coversion? Just got bus yesterday sorry for the enthusiasm but it is hotter than can be in Florida . And I do Not want to screw up the job they did wiring bus.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipteacher View Post
We have two 50 amp plugs here at shop to run taco joint. Just wondering if I should be LQQking at a plug Coversion? Just got bus yesterday sorry for the enthusiasm but it is hotter than can be in Florida . And I do Not want to screw up the job they did wiring bus.
If you have 2 of the 50 amp 4 prong rv style plugs at the shop, just get a conversion cable similar to the one I linked from amazon and use that.

Make sure the conversion cable you get works with the twistlocks you have. I wouldn't swap out the twistlocks, I prefer them over the straight prong plugs, especially in an on-road environment. A lot of generators will use twistlock plug ins because of the vibrations present.

See where the wires for your female twistlock go.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #11

OK i see it now Thank You so much

OK i see it now Thank You so much
Attached Thumbnails
supra5.jpg  
Old 08-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #12

Old bus we converted still got it

Old bus we converted still got it For Sale in Homosassa Fl FB @Dontmisshomosassasprings
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2020, 04:29 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 77
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 855 Cummins big cam
Rated Cap: single axle
Every combination of voltage and current has a specific N.E.M.A configuration of size and shapes and layout of electrical caps and receptacles. 125 volt, 30 amp is commonly used on RV's and has a specific layout of the prongs. Here is a chart that shows the different configurations of the prongs and connection slots (male and female) of straight blade units. Choose your voltage and current spec to suit your requirements and use the configuration in the chart. Use the correct size wire (typically #14 wire for 15 amp, #12 wire for 20 amp, #10 wire for 30 amp, #8 wire for 40 amp, #6 wire for 50 amp and so on. These sizes do not account for voltage drop in long runs of wire. If you are feeding through more than maybe 50 feet of cable you may need to bump up a size to cover for extra current flow due to voltage drop. In alternating current circuits less voltage means more current flow in the circuit.
Here is a NEMA configuration chart:
https://www.stayonline.com/product-r...ence-chart.asp
wireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Nema

Just a quick observation... The plug and connector pictured (I believe) are L14-30. That is to say 250 volt (max) 30 amp with a neutral. The easiest way to tell from a L14-20 is the direction of the bent tab on the ground pin, inward is 30a and outward is 20a. I work alot with NEMA connectors and the only drawback is when someone uses the wrong plug and connector on something which can mislead you in troubleshooting. A 6-20 and 6-30 are 250v with no neutral (3-prong). You may want to check the actual connection at the A/C unit to make sure. A 3-prong (such as a 6-50 dryer) outlet has no neutral and can't be adapted to 4 prong without a neutral

*wireguy beat me to it 😁
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S500
Engine: Dodge 318
What feeds that electrical panel? Is there a power connector on the outside of the bus, maybe that feeds the panel? Are there breakers labeled for the AC units? Your photo shows both a male and a female connector, where do these go or is that both ends of an extension that was used to feed the entire bus. It’s all straight forward one you know who feeds what.
Unpluggedone is offline   Reply With Quote