Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Propane Generator?

Hello
I'm planning on building a rear platform on my short bus. I want to build it large enough to house a generator. Any thoughts or advice on platform size would be greatly appreciated also. Im thinking same width as bus (8') and a length of 24-32"... So that gets me looking at generators to how how large to build the rear platform. The bus will be used for tailgating (already is) and then be full rv conversion long term. I was leaning toward a cheaper harbor freight 3500 watt invertor generator. Then I saw a duel fuel champion generator. I plan on having propane on board for hot water heater, heater, etc. Any one use one of these? I would like to stay under 60db or around there so it's fairly quiet for tailgating. Are there any other propane quiet generators out there? I just thought it would be nice not to have to lug gasoline around. (Bus is diesel)

Here is a link of the champion generator I was looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FAWMMEY/ref=cm_cr_othr_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8#cm_cr_carousel _images_section

Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I've been looking at this one with wireless remote control.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...tart-inverter/
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
i use a DuroMac Sidekick 200 watt Duel fuel Inverter. So far so good.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
Hello
I'm planning on building a rear platform on my short bus. I want to build it large enough to house a generator. Any thoughts or advice on platform size would be greatly appreciated also. Im thinking same width as bus (8') and a length of 24-32"... So that gets me looking at generators to how how large to build the rear platform. The bus will be used for tailgating (already is) and then be full rv conversion long term. I was leaning toward a cheaper harbor freight 3500 watt invertor generator. Then I saw a duel fuel champion generator. I plan on having propane on board for hot water heater, heater, etc. Any one use one of these? I would like to stay under 60db or around there so it's fairly quiet for tailgating. Are there any other propane quiet generators out there? I just thought it would be nice not to have to lug gasoline around. (Bus is diesel)

Here is a link of the champion generator I was looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FA...images_section
I have that generator. However, I haven't even had a chance to fire it up yet. I'll be using it to run my rooftop a/c. I'll be using the propane option and putting either a hard start or soft start capacitor on the a/c if it can't handle it.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
I have that generator. However, I haven't even had a chance to fire it up yet. I'll be using it to run my rooftop a/c. I'll be using the propane option and putting either a hard start or soft start capacitor on the a/c if it can't handle it.
Fire it up and take a video, are they as quiet as they claim (56db)? That's pretty quiet considering.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I'll put it on my to.do list for this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Fire it up and take a video, are they as quiet as they claim (56db)? That's pretty quiet considering.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
I'll put it on my to.do list for this week.
Thanks! Please let me know how it runs your ac! I won't be buying a generator for another month or two. Don't plan to need it until next summer. For now we have a little 2200 watt Ryobi for tailgating. It runs the dish and tv and /or electric skillet at our tailgates. Looking forward I'll need something bigger to run an AC.
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Yeehah -- I want in on this information. We use a Honda EU7000 and I would love to convert it to propane.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:33 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I converted my gasoline Champion 46540 generator to propane a few years ago, using an Impco kit that has a Garretson KN demand regulator. The generator now always starts on the third pull, never the second or fourth, unlike when it was running off gasoline when it would always start on the first pull. It takes the extra two pulls now to draw the propane through the extra hose to the demand regulator and on to the original carb - no big deal. I think it runs slightly quieter now than before, the exhaust is absolutely clear but with slightly more water dripping out than before, and it seems to make power no differently than before, i.e. whatever it could run before it can still run now. All in all, it was well worth the change. The gasoline tank and carb are still in place, so I could run it on gasoline if I wanted, but why would I?

I anticipate only needing to use my generator a few times a year, at most, so it makes sense to run it off propane instead of risking the carb getting gummed up due to lack of use. It's only for emergencies such as when the sun hasn't shone for a few days and the batteries are getting low, but on those rare occasions it MUST start without fail.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:36 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
Yeehah -- I want in on this information. We use a Honda EU7000 and I would love to convert it to propane.
Check out motorsnorkel.com. They make conversion kits for almost every gas generator
Old 09-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #11
Bus Geek

I will definitely look into that. Thanks!
(The Honda EU7000 has electronic fuel injection and starts itself with one bump of the starter button. Hopefully, they have a conversion for that. Because... the future is here now! )

Old 09-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Not familiar with the 7000 but have seen tri-fuel kits (NG, propane, gasoline) for most of the other Hondas. Several on Ebay.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
i have a champion 3400 inverter, gas, and just the pull start. runs great, its not as quiet as the Honda but its close enough and half the cost. we use it for our vending trailer it runs 10 hours a day full tilt, I don't use the echo throttle, we need almost all it puts out for power, and it has never let us down. we get about 6 hours just under 1.8 cdn gal of gas. I change the oil every 7-8 days which is over 50 hours running. personally, I wouldn't want propane, they burn more fuel, and would be more of pain to get propane then fuel. but that's just me.
gbstewart
Old 09-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
No dog in the fight here but the take away from reading lots of posts on gas vs propane gennys is that the simplest way to assure having adequate power output at high elevations is simply to oversize your generator 40-50%. That way even with elevational and propane low energy issues you'll still be good to go.

Here is a starting point for learning more: Propane Powered Generator Altitude Question - Page 2 - Airstream Forums.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
I am curious about what you all are paying for propane in various parts of the country?

Here in the Walla Walla area we are paying $3.29-$3.79 a gallon. I spoke with a gent in Illinois last week that told me that he was paying $1.05.

I could hardly believe it. I have not seen sub $2 propane in 20 years.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #16
Bus Nut

My thought of the propane generator on my tailgating/rv rig is I wouldn't have to haul gasoline... since my bus is diesel I guess a diesel quiet generator would be ideal. So far I'm a little worried about that champion running a 13500 btu or 15k but air conditioner on propane... I've read m8xed reviews on that... either way I do appreciate ALL the feedback from everyone!
Old 09-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
My thought of the propane generator on my tailgating/rv rig is I wouldn't have to haul gasoline... since my bus is diesel I guess a diesel quiet generator would be ideal. So far I'm a little worried about that champion running a 13500 btu or 15k but air conditioner on propane... I've read m8xed reviews on that... either way I do appreciate ALL the feedback from everyone!
If you size the generator for the load, fuel choice has little impact on the ability to support your air conditioner.

A given generator may have a reduced capacity when running on propane than on gasoline. You would want to make your generator size selection based on its capacity while running on propane.

I would not count on the smaller dual fuel generators, that will barely support a roof air on gasoline, to support the same roof air on propane.

I would suspect that something approaching 4kw would be plenty for a roof air and minor loads along with it.

If you are able to manage a diesel generator you avoid adding an additional fuel.

Energy in a gallon of fuel (approx) :

Propane: 91,000 BTU's
Gasoline: 115,000 BTU's
Diesel: 140,000BTU's
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #18
Bus Geek

We use the Honda EU7000 at Burning Man, which is almost 4,000 feet altitude. And propane has less energy than gasoline.
But we previously used a 3000. It was too small, but not by much.

So, the 7000 on propane would work fine, I'm sure.

The issue is all the spilling of gasoline when refueling from 5-gallon cans, and simply man-handling the cans for careful pouring.
Sure would be better to simply move a propane hose from one bottle to the next.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #19
Bus Geek

I looked at the motorsnorkel website and e-mailed them (US Carburation) about my Honda EU7000.
They replied (and impressively quickly);

"Thank you for your interest in US Carburetion. The Honda EU7000 has a fuel injected engine. Our conversion kits would not be compatible."

Old 09-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw_steve View Post
i am curious about what you all are paying for propane in various parts of the country?

Here in the walla walla area we are paying $3.29-$3.79 a gallon. I spoke with a gent in illinois last week that told me that he was paying $1.05.

I could hardly believe it. I have not seen sub $2 propane in 20 years.
$1.80-2.00.