Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2020, 04:06 PM   #1

Year: 2003
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT3126
Cool Pure Sine Inverter/Charger Installation

Hey all,

I'm putting plans together for the electrical system of my newly acquired bus and looking for some confirmation that my thoughts on this system are correct.

As an overview, I have a 2003 Thomas RE activity bus that I plan on using more for long-haul transportation of family and friends versus overnight camping. I don't rule-out overnight camping, weekend music venues, etc. so I do want to have some electrical while parked. Bus has factory 140,000 BTU HVAC that works wonderfully while underway and I'm planning for an LG mini-split system that uses 2-3 roof-mounted cassettes (somewhat new for RV systems).

While traveling, I plan to use a 4,000 watt pure sine inverter/charger that is connected to bus batteries and can be charged with alternator power while underway. This should be enough to power microwave, blender, laptop, refrigerator, etc. while traveling from what I can tell. When parked, I plan to use 50A shore power either through a pedestal or generator power. I don't have any plans for house batteries or solar power right now.

I've read a lot about running shore power directly to the inverter/charger AC input and running the AC output to the breaker box, however my understanding is that with almost all the inverter/chargers, you would only get one leg of power to the breaker box. I don't really want that as I want to have the availability of 240V power if this mini-split system so requires.

So, from spending many days researching and thinking about all of this, here's where I'm at:
  • 50A shore power coming in from shore power either via pedestal or generator. Shore power will run to breaker box with 50A main on double-pole breaker to make both legs of the box hot.
  • Off this breaker box I will plan to run the mini-split system on 1-2 breakers and then one 30A breaker that will run to the AC input of the inverter charger which according to what I've read, will pass through to the AC output while also charging my bus batteries.
  • From the AC output of the inverter charger, I will run power to a single-leg sub-panel that will handle all my other electrical components such as power outlets.
  • I will run all my AC plugs to this sub-panel and all my neutrals will be kept separate from the shore power neutrals coming in. It's also my understanding I will not ground the shore power breaker box to the chassis as when plugged in it will ground from the pedestal or generator I'm using, but I should ground the sub-panel breaker box and inverter/charger to the chassis.

I welcome any feedback or comments if this is not as efficient as I could be doing it - it's just what I can wrap my brain around with all the research and reading. I understand everyone's situation is different, mine certainly is as I don't plan this conversion for full-time living but more for traveling.

TexasMedic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Can you draw up a diagram?
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post

Draw.io is a good tool for drawing up a simple diagram
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:31 PM   #4

Year: 2003
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Is this what you're looking for or a more detailed wiring schematic?
Attached Thumbnails
Bus Electrical Plan.png  
TexasMedic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:35 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMedic27 View Post
Hey all,

So, from spending many days researching and thinking about all of this, here's where I'm at:
  • 50A shore power coming in from shore power either via pedestal or generator. Shore power will run to breaker box with 50A main on double-pole breaker to make both legs of the box hot.
  • Off this breaker box I will plan to run the mini-split system on 1-2 breakers and then one 30A breaker that will run to the AC input of the inverter charger which according to what I've read, will pass through to the AC output while also charging my bus batteries.
  • From the AC output of the inverter charger, I will run power to a single-leg sub-panel that will handle all my other electrical components such as power outlets.
  • I will run all my AC plugs to this sub-panel and all my neutrals will be kept separate from the shore power neutrals coming in. It's also my understanding I will not ground the shore power breaker box to the chassis as when plugged in it will ground from the pedestal or generator I'm using, but I should ground the sub-panel breaker box and inverter/charger to the chassis.
Yes, that is correct. They do make split phase inverters (that accept both hot legs from the 50 amp shore power source) but I have no experience with them so an unknown to me.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote