Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Radio/GPS.... what do you have?

So we are look no for a radio/GPS for our bus. Hopefully it also has connection for rear camera. Do you guys/gals have any suggestions or advice on ones we should avoid? What do you have in your bus and how did you install it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 198x
Coachwork: Crown & MCI
Chassis: 40ft Tandem/40ft MC-9 Tag
Engine: Cummins 855 BCT/6V92TA, RTO-910/HT-740
Rated Cap: 47,000lb/38,000lb GVWR
Take a look at the Garmin RV 660 or 770. Both can accept a wireless camera that Garmin also has available. The cool thing about these is that you can program in the dimensions and weight of the rig and it will avoid roads that will get you stuck or in a dangerous situation due to vehicle specs.

As for radios I use a CB, a HF/UHF/VHF Yaesu, and a Motorola APX 7500.
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:38 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
I think they're looking at AM/FM/XM/BD/DVD/CD/Cassette/8 Track, not two-way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowserJournal View Post
So we are look no for a radio/GPS for our bus. Hopefully it also has connection for rear camera. Do you guys/gals have any suggestions or advice on ones we should avoid? What do you have in your bus and how did you install it?
I've heard mixed things about those multifunction units, mainly with the GPS lack of functionality. You'd be better off with a separate GPS and radio head.

And here's the link to the Garmin 770RV. Looks nifty.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I didnt bother with a proper radio.. I can get all my Local news / talk stations on iHeartRadio, and all the music I want from my own collection or via spotify / DI.FM , and other streaming or music apps..

a bluetooth module connected to speakers and amps.. no Head unit needed.

I use an ipad mini(cell model with cell not activated) with Co-pilot Truck. and active-traffic.. it is a great little program.

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I use a Garmin LMT760 RV, it's big and I can put in my own custom POI's. There are a lot of places in west central Indiana, other places I'm sure, that phone gps don't work.

My radio is an old Pioneer double din that has CD and cassette. I like my old tapes.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
XM... Garmin. Anything that makes noise can plug into our boosted speakers.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
I still find GPS to be inaccurate and more trouble than its worth. We use actual maps(GASP!!!!). Bought a little 300watt amplifier with a 3.5mm input so any portable music device or cellphone can plug right in when we're OTR... Also I can plug run an audio line from my desktop to those speakers and have even more speakers for movies/video games etc. Super cheap, super effective. Did I mention super cheap?
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Forgot, I have XM too. I was one of their first customers.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
Take a look at the Garmin RV 660 or 770. Both can accept a wireless camera that Garmin also has available. The cool thing about these is that you can program in the dimensions and weight of the rig and it will avoid roads that will get you stuck or in a dangerous situation due to vehicle specs.

What kind of antenna setup do you have for HF mobile?

I wonder if I could pull off a 40m NVIS??
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Like slaughridge85 says, GPS still has a long way to go before it becomes useful for me. Last Sunday I had my GF give me GPS directions twice, and on both occasions it completely screwed up, sending us in totally the wrong directions. Nothing beats a good ol' Del Orme Atlas and Gazetteer for complete accuracy and reliability! I really don't want to be dependent on a system that could be turned off at a moment's notice by the US military, especially if that system doesn't even work for me in the first place.

I recently installed a Rear View Safety 770613 camera system. Wow! I now can't imagine life before having it - it's completely indispensable when backing into a narrow storage space at night when the neighbours' RVs are parked too close and crooked. Well worth it. It's good quality, easy to install, and works very well.

I will soon be removing my radio altogether. It's never worked well, and once I'm away from the LA basin there's only crap stations anyway. I really don't want any distractions while driving, and I prefer to be able to hear the engine and what's happening 40 feet behind me. I like to hear when the fan goes between full and half speeds, when the air compressor starts, and all the other subtle sounds that tell me the bus is healthy and happy. Conversely if something doesn't sound quite right I can immediately check what's happening and hopefully prevent Something Bad later happening. Most mechanical failures give warning, either audible or tactile, so I don't want anything blocking that from me. In the radio's place I will have an OAT gauge, a clock, and a compass - they're far more useful to me than a radio. And there's no nicer music than a big Detroit 2-stroke!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 198x
Coachwork: Crown & MCI
Chassis: 40ft Tandem/40ft MC-9 Tag
Engine: Cummins 855 BCT/6V92TA, RTO-910/HT-740
Rated Cap: 47,000lb/38,000lb GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
What kind of antenna setup do you have for HF mobile?

I wonder if I could pull off a 40m NVIS??
I use either an ATAS-120 with an ATAS-25 or an MFJ 8-band compact vertical.

For NVIS I've heard that some have had success mobile using some HF whips/coils mounted horizontal but I've never tried.
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
I think they're looking at AM/FM/XM/BD/DVD/CD/Cassette/8 Track, not two-way

I've heard mixed things about those multifunction units, mainly with the GPS lack of functionality. You'd be better off with a separate GPS and radio head.

And here's the link to the Garmin 770RV. Looks nifty.

I want a separate stand alone CB as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:54 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Forgot, I have XM too. I was one of their first customers.
i was too.. in fact so early that evidently my original Delphi (i think thats the brand?).. radios apparently are life-time.. they have been deactivated long ago.. I pulled them out a few years ago just because I found them in the basement.. and they have worked every since.
-Christopher
Old 04-30-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
what apps do you guys use? if any

i see quite a few trackers for business mileage. i'd be interested in hearing from someone that uses one.

a pre trip app would be uselful - i'm trying 2 now, 1 is good and useless. good that it walks around the vehicle as you check stuff, useless because it doesnt record anything. - i think that is called "road check". the other one records data and you can email inspections, but no walk around, just check the box. that one is KT or keep truckin.

i just started using a fuel mileage app called fuel monitor. i like it!

and an RV checklist for trip planning. "Express RV"

i like Gas buddy too, for planning fuel costs.

i see reports of an app but my devices are too old to buy it, that will measure hp, torque, 1/4 mile times, all off the accelerometer in the device.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:44 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I've got an led flat screen with tv, dvd, cd and "surround sound" in my bus. I've watched "The long, long trailer" over and over again and a couple of other movies. I like to play Willie's "On the road again" at the start of a trip but other than that I'm too busy just trying to keep my 82 year old skoolie on the road to do much of anything else. Neither the bus nor the 60 year old toad have a radio--just doesn't seem a fitting accessory since there were only local AM stations in the day.

I do have a GPS in the bus. It seems to give me really bad advice more often than not (how do we get our rockets off the pad anyway?). I do program the thing anyway because the female voice that comes from it is to me like a siren of the sea.

I also have a rear vision camera on the bus. I can't imagine driving (much less towing) without it.

At the butt crack of dawn tomorrow, we, me, wifey, Honeysuckle Rose, and Clarence (our toad) will begin our bi-annual trek to Yosemite where cell phones still don't work worth a crap and bears still rip open cars for a midnight snack.

On the road again-----gotta love it!

Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
LOL,, GPS , Loard do I have some stories about GPS.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:41 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
LOL,, GPS , Loard do I have some stories about GPS.
As do I. And even without GPS. Like...

I deployed to Iraq at the beginning of 2005 with 42d Infantry Division (ARNG). We had guides from the 1st ID in our lead vehicles for each serial (march unit) in the ground convoy to our FOB, along with some of the latest hitech, whiz bang OTH communications and mapping gear. But not in every vehicle. I'm watching the map in the battalion commander's Humvee as we're heading up Route 1 when I notice one of the markers heading for Basra. Seems their guide missed the bypass to go around the city and took them right through it. Our BC wasn't too thrilled about that, but that unit got through fine.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
As do I. And even without GPS. Like...

I deployed to Iraq at the beginning of 2005 with 42d Infantry Division (ARNG). We had guides from the 1st ID in our lead vehicles for each serial (march unit) in the ground convoy to our FOB, along with some of the latest hitech, whiz bang OTH communications and mapping gear. But not in every vehicle. I'm watching the map in the battalion commander's Humvee as we're heading up Route 1 when I notice one of the markers heading for Basra. Seems their guide missed the bypass to go around the city and took them right through it. Our BC wasn't too thrilled about that, but that unit got through fine.
Buddy of mine lives in the country, Road in front of his house is on a hill side 5 yrs ago during heavy rain the road slide off the hill so the county had to rebuild the road so about 100 yards east of his property there is a 3 way intersection & the county put up a chain link gate blocking off the road with detour sights up on how to get around then on the other end of the property the workers would block the road with their equipment.

So one quite Saturday evening my wife & myself are sitting in their front yard enjoying adult beverages (Long Islands) & we here this strang noise & about a minute later some idiot in a Lexus comes driving up the dirt road that's tore up & drives up to the slide area gets out & looking at it, we walk over & say

" The road is closed" he says "The GPS said to come this way" we say " The road is closed there's a sign that says ROAD CLOSED" He says "GPS said to come this way" We say "THE ROAD IS CLOSED, THERES A SIGN THAT SAYS ROAD CLOSED, THERES A DETOUR SIGN TELLING YOU HOW TO GET AROUND" He says "THE GPS SAID TO COME THIS WAY". ,,, So we took a pic to show the crew what stupid looks like then he turned around & drove back over the gate he pushed down & drove over with his car.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #19
Bus Geek

people seem to lose common sense with devices...

on my trip from orlando to st pete monday, I stopped for fuel, and upon returning, the GPS said to make a U-turn to get back on the freeway.. even the trucker one.. on 2 lane road really? in a bus? well evidently the guy in a pseudo bus conversion RV.. 'allegro-bus' it was called and iot was big.. was trying to make a U-turn, as he finally realized he couldnt even multi-point turn the thing on a 2 lane plus left turn lane road... traffic is stopped.. horns are blowin.. the light has turned red.. and while the lights red he doesnt even try to move... finally he got it point back the same direction as before.. im not sure where he went.. I drove down a couple blocks to a shopping center and tirned around in there and went on my way...

im Guessing his GPS said to make a U right where mine did..

judging from the perceived mental capacity of the driver, I dare say he shouldve been RIDING my SHort bus!! and not driving that beautiful RV.
-Christopher
Old 05-05-2017, 08:59 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Good thread!

I got an Asus tinker board with a raspberry pi lego touch screen stand and a pi compatible touchscreen. (I know it's tech speak)

This logic platform will serve as a DVR camera security system, weather station, fuel monitor, wet tanks monitor, front / side / back radar, radio, internet radio, GPS, engine monitor, and monitor anything else that I can throw a sensor on so you get the point.

just haven't gotten to the point that I can install it yet.
LincolnEcho is offline   Reply With Quote