Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2023, 11:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Radio light stays on

I don't know if this is the right thread but my stock radio light won't shut off.. it will shut off for about 10 seconds of I press the loud button and then the light comes back on again. Anyone have any advice to shut it off other than unplugging the wire??
Thanks!

Imnewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:47 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnewhere View Post
I don't know if this is the right thread but my stock radio light won't shut off.. it will shut off for about 10 seconds of I press the loud button and then the light comes back on again. Anyone have any advice to shut it off other than unplugging the wire??
Thanks!
Most stereo head units have two 12v positive lines coming into them - one is actual power from the main solenoid/battery, and the second is a "power on signal line" from an ignition circuit that tells the unit to turn on and draw its power from that first power line. Check your unit to see if those two have been spliced together, and if so, separate them back out and make sure the signal line is tied to an ignition-on circuit.

Alternatively, just wire a switch between the unit's main power source and the unit and flip it on and off as needed.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:36 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
That is why I put a main disconnect on my engine batteries, to keep parasitic drags from draining my batteries. Did you know the radio has a constant drag to keep the memory active; just disconnect ur batteries and you won't have any worries.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:05 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
Most stereo head units have two 12v positive lines coming into them - one is actual power from the main solenoid/battery, and the second is a "power on signal line" from an ignition circuit that tells the unit to turn on and draw its power from that first power line. Check your unit to see if those two have been spliced together, and if so, separate them back out and make sure the signal line is tied to an ignition-on circuit.

Alternatively, just wire a switch between the unit's main power source and the unit and flip it on and off as needed.
Wicked good advice on checking to see if that ignition-on line is spliced in.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:34 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Since I listen to my radio while I work on the bus I wired it to my house batteries. With solar panels constantly charging the batteries it’s not an issue.

So there’s that. [emoji3522]Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:51 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
I think a lot of us like the idea of non running down the chassis batteries!

After giving it some thought, I wired in a relay that feeds House Power by way of a small PC power supply.

When the bus is running, the chassis batteries feeds the radio;
When the bus is parked and on shore power, the PC power supply feeds the radio;
When the bus is boondocking the same PC power supply feeds the radio, powered by the inverter.

Why not run the radio direct from the house batteries? Because most of the time I'm parked I'm on shore power.

If I do a lot of boondocking I may consider options to tie directly to 12VDC house power to omit the inverter.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote