Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Integrated CE S
Engine: DT466
Re-using original bus wires

I'm on the step of where I'm planning my wiring setup for my house electronics. I've got a 50A plug and a 50A dual AC/DC distribution center (AC circuit breakers and DC fuses). The current breakers are mostly 15A with a few 20A, and the fuses are all 20A. I'm going to be running a DC water pump, DC ignition for the propane water heater, 3x DC outlets for phone charging, and overhead lights for DC. I have enough fuses to run individual wires for each of these. AC will be mini fridge, window unit air conditioning, and 4x AC outlets. I have enough breakers to run individual wires for each of these as well.

Looking at this chart:
http://assets.bluesea.com/files/reso...on_chartlg.jpg

The wiring gauge recommended for the length and amperage is #12 or #14 minimum. However, if I drop the amperage to 10A, I can reuse the #16 gauge wiring that I removed from the bus. Most of the bus wiring was #16, but I think a few were #12. Benefits of this is the wiring is readily available, it's already stranded, and I don't have to pay any money for it!

Is this idea feasible? I could use the pulled #12 for the air conditioning unit, but I don't think I have many of those. If I use more wiring, can I get away with smaller wires?

Old 08-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
Skoolie

Thinking about it more, in theory I could run 2x 16ga wires for each 20A outlet, right? I've got more than enough spare wiring from the bus to run at least 5 wires for each outlet. I have a lot of copper to spare.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i aint the sparky on here
think blackjohn or john6 should be here soon?
i think in a new build you should use new wire because you dont know the condition of the old wires.
and pairing old smaller wires together to make a bigger wire could leave you wondering which one is bad and trying to replace it after the build is done.
that route is definitly a conduit raceway so you can pull out the bad stuff and put in new fresh stuff .
which for me is a no brainer if i am building something
yes repurposing thing save alot but the workings of whatever structure like electrical mechanical and plumbing.
for plumbing you can salvage holding tanks and have a chance at makiing them work for mechanical/HVAC you can salvage and make it work if its what you want for electrical and i am not an electrician by trade but i do not recommend pairing old wires to create the voltage each single wire was not made to handle.
even though they are stranded the plastic insulation is not thick enough to handle the higher voltage
research some more
we do have some real sparkys on the site
should chime in soon
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Wow that’s inventive and dangerous. The smaller wires have higher resistance so will heat up quicker. You’re also possibly using wire that’s been spliced outside of boxes and maybe goes to places you don’t know. Use fresh wire runs of the correct gauge that you know exactly where run and where spliced.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Yes pull new wire, not an arena to skimp
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #6
Skoolie

Yeah... I love this site but sometimes people ask the stupidest questions. Like me. Right now. I also love this site because people are incredibly helpful. "Inventive and dangerous" is a good way of putting it.

The wires I was considering re-using are not marked with specifications, but it's easy to surmise that they're sufficient for 12V, but they're definitely not rated for 110V. Something I hadn't thought of was the shielding might be sufficient for 12V, but not necessarily sufficient for 110V. Per your suggestions here and speaking with my father (not an electrician, but has some knowledge on the topic), I am going to run new wires instead of used wires.

I'm going to use 12ga for all of my 110V applications:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074GF6DPC

And for 12V use the appropriate gauge based on the needs of the application. No sense running 00ga wires to connect to a 16ga wire on my water pump...
Old 08-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by inhof009 View Post
Yeah... I love this site but sometimes people ask the stupidest questions. Like me. Right now. I also love this site because people are incredibly helpful. "Inventive and dangerous" is a good way of putting it.

The wires I was considering re-using are not marked with specifications, but it's easy to surmise that they're sufficient for 12V, but they're definitely not rated for 110V. Something I hadn't thought of was the shielding might be sufficient for 12V, but not necessarily sufficient for 110V. Per your suggestions here and speaking with my father (not an electrician, but has some knowledge on the topic), I am going to run new wires instead of used wires.

I'm going to use 12ga for all of my 110V applications:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074GF6DPC

And for 12V use the appropriate gauge based on the needs of the application. No sense running 00ga wires to connect to a 16ga wire on my water pump...
Sorry I didn’t mean to be rude. I just don’t want to see people do dangerous stuff.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Sorry I didn’t mean to be rude. I just don’t want to see people do dangerous stuff.
You weren't rude, you were helpful and honest! I appreciate it! Answers like that is why I come here for questions, so that I know how to do something right. Especially with wiring, since it's going to be hidden and nestled in between flammable wooden framing.