Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE
Engine: DT466E
Rear Wiring Help-2000 Amtran CE

Hey all. I've been wrestling with this for two weeks, and it's got me stumped. I'll be the first one to say that I know basically nothing about automotive wiring, and only slightly more about conventional 120AC. I started trying to simplify the wiring in Buscapades, pulling everything out that isn't necessary anymore. Unfortunately, like a complete idiot, I didn't take a picture of the way the wiring in the rear was when I started, and I didn't label what connections went where when I took it apart. So now I'm trying to get it back together again, and I'm stumped.

First, let me say that the wiring harness was REALLY nice, and seems to follow the wiring diagram (which I have) almost exactly. All connections from wiring to lights were nice, quick disconnect type connections (sorta like Molex, I guess? I haven't been able to figure out exactly what they are, or how to get more or replace what's there). There were no unused connections (ones that didn't connect to anything in the first place). Every wire was connected either to a light or to another wire.

After taking out what I don't need (and I'm 98% sure that I took out what I don't need and left what I do, with two exceptions-a white wire I'm sure is the ground, and a pink wire I have no idea, but think might be the ground. They both came from the front of the bus separate from the bundle that went to the two harness connectors at the rear), I'm trying to get things back together again. Everything is great with the wiring for the turn signals and the backup lights. It's the brake/tail lights that have got me stumped. I drew out how things exist now, what wires are there, and what connections exist. All the existing connectors are noted in the drawing by short lines perpendicular to the run of the wiring. The wires coming from each light are noted by either (B)lack or (R)ed.

If you can make it out, you will see that there are three connectors on the brown wire (tail lights), two connectors on the red wire (brake lights), and only four possible connection points (two each on the brake light and tail light). I also have an extra length of unmarked pink wire with a connector at both ends that I have no idea where it went.

The only possible way that I can make sense out of that combination is if the red wire connects to the red terminal on both the brake and tail light, and the brown wire connects to the black terminal on both the brake and the tail light, then additionally connects to the pink wire. If I understand right, this would essentially make the brown wire the ground wire. Can that wire carry the current both directions??? Can it be both the live wire and the ground wire?? There's also an extra pink wire coming from the main connector that has two connections on it, but I *think* it's related to the buzzer on the rear door which has been removed. That pink wire doesn't go back to the electrical panel, but maybe it has something to do with the extra connectors ??

I feel like there is a really simple solution here that I'm not seeing because I don't really understand how the wiring works. I also feel like a fecking idiot for not labeling things in the first place. I'm happy to take more pictures or add up a pic of the wiring diagram, if that helps.

Thanks a bazillion in advance.

P.S. I understand that I could essentially just remove all the connectors, and re-wire things to my heart's content. I'd REALLY rather not do that at this point, as I'm simply trying to get it to the point where it's driveable. I'd love to just plug everything back in the way it was and get back up and running, if at all possible.

P.P.S. The boxes marked "Connector" on the drawing are large, molex-style junction connectors between different harnesses.
Attached Thumbnails
0808171938.jpg  

FuzzWantsABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:02 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Just to clarify, your brake lights are the only ones not working?

Did the pink wire jump the 2 brake lights together, perhaps?

Do you have a multimeter? any voltage when brake pedal depressed?

Good bulbs and fuses? Sure?

Pics of actual wiring might help someone assist. Brake lights worked before the wiring mods, correct?

most connectors are available from digi-key or ebay.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE
Engine: DT466E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Just to clarify, your brake lights are the only ones not working?
Nothing is hooked up currently. Before I started taking things apart, the tail lights didn't work at all (they did when I got it, it looks like on of the brown wires corroded through right at the base of the connector on both sides), and one brake light didn't work (also was working when I got it).

Did the pink wire jump the 2 brake lights together, perhaps?
There's only two connectors per side on the brake wire, and since it has to connect to both the brake and the tail light, I don't think that's the case?

Do you have a multimeter? any voltage when brake pedal depressed?
I do have a multimeter, but I've never used it before. I got it in anticipation of this process.

Good bulbs and fuses? Sure?
I am sure the fuses are good, as I got a fuse tester thinking that could be the problem. The bulbs were fine when I got it, and all it's done is sit, but that is a possibility, particularly for the one brake light that wasn't working.

Pics of actual wiring might help someone assist. Brake lights worked before the wiring mods, correct?

most connectors are available from digi-key or ebay.

Thanks for the link for the connectors! I took some in to the auto parts store, and he'd never seen them before. lol I'll keep poking around.
FuzzWantsABus is offline   Reply With Quote