Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2022, 08:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Relay board disconnect

Hi all - I did a stupid thing.

In the attached image is a relay board, which was originally located in the bulkhead (above the driver). A wire ran to it from the engine starter, another ran off to the fuse box right of the driver. The relays on the board controlled the OEM air conditioning, which I have removed.

My dumb move was neglecting to take a photo of this unit prior to disconnecting the wires from it. Now I have no idea how to reconnect.

I’ve reached out to Midwest Bus Sales, a helpful bus servicing company in Denver, but they were unable to provide the right diagrams. Next step would be to make a very expensive call to get a technician out to my home.

Does anyone have a photo of their similar relay board? Any advice for reconnecting? Anything at all, lol..

Thank you so much in advance.

(FYI this is for a 2004 Thomas Freightliner)
Attached Thumbnails
F3222BCE-9625-4655-9601-3F3152873EBB.jpg  

jsweet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:40 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet89 View Post
Does anyone have a photo of their similar relay board? Any advice for reconnecting? Anything at all, lol..

Thank you so much in advance.

(FYI this is for a 2004 Thomas Freightliner)

I have those in my Thomas pusher freightliner 2001. If you removed your A/c, I’m not sure why you would need to hook this back up, but I’ll take a pic for you tomorrow.

bTW. I have been advised that there is no oem A/C. Everybody’s was added after assembly. Mine is carrier trans-air.

[emoji3522]Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:55 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you pulled out the Air conditioner (why??).. then you have no need for this board,. it shouldnt have any control over whethere the bus starts or not.. the wire going to the starter is likely where they pulled the 'BAT+ from for that board.. the fuse-box wire is likely the ignition feed for it..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:33 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
I have those in my Thomas pusher freightliner 2001. If you removed your A/c, I’m not sure why you would need to hook this back up, but I’ll take a pic for you tomorrow.

bTW. I have been advised that there is no oem A/C. Everybody’s was added after assembly. Mine is carrier trans-air.

[emoji3522]Dave
Thank you! Would really appreciate a photo
Old 12-08-2022, 09:35 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if you pulled out the Air conditioner (why??).. then you have no need for this board,. it shouldnt have any control over whethere the bus starts or not.. the wire going to the starter is likely where they pulled the 'BAT+ from for that board.. the fuse-box wire is likely the ignition feed for it..
Fair question. The A/C units were huge and I wanted control over the space and layout.

The bus still starts, but the line from the secondary fuse box (in front, right of the driver) when disconnected from this relay unit would shoot sparks when it touched the chassis. Huge hazard. So it needs to connect back up to this unit somehow.

I do think you’re right about the starter wire heading to the BAT terminal on the unit though; thank you.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:01 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
The bus still starts, but the line from the secondary fuse box (in front, right of the driver) when disconnected from this relay unit would shoot sparks when it touched the chassis. Huge hazard. So it needs to connect back up to this unit somehow.
I may not be understanding this, but it seems like you don't need this board...but you're saying there's a cable which runs to this board that sparks when it touches the metal...meaning it's a positive power cable. Can you not just cap that off or disconnect the end at the fuse box? Why would it need to be reconnected to a board you don't need?

Please tell us more about this!
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:16 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I may not be understanding this, but it seems like you don't need this board...but you're saying there's a cable which runs to this board that sparks when it touches the metal...meaning it's a positive power cable. Can you not just cap that off or disconnect the end at the fuse box? Why would it need to be reconnected to a board you don't need?

Please tell us more about this!

thats what im thinking.. he should cap it off or pull it.. its the Positive lead for Ignition On.. the other lead going to the starter will spark worse if it touches the bus body so definitely DONT touch that one to the bus frame.. in fact disconnect your batteries completely and pull that line out or cap it off.. and then you can pull that board completely out..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 02:06 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Quote:
Thank you! Would really appreciate a photo

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2103.jpg