Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2021, 10:19 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Relays....it's all in the wiring???

So, like many of you, I'm learning a lot on the fly. In trouble shooting my transmission modulator issue, I learned about electrical relays. I examined how my buses relays work and about normally open and normally closed switches, active and inactive coils, etc..

The relays I've been working with have the coil continuously activated (12v) which opens the switch circuit (turns it off). When the coil is de-activated (0v) the switch circuit closes (turns on) and the accessory (the modulator in this case) receives 12v and does its thing.

Well, in planning a work around for my modulator issue, I wanted to try and use as much as the existing circuitry as possible. But, I didn't want the coil activated, as it is now. So, I went searching for a Normally Open coil and Normally open switch set-up. I could not find it....and then, I stumbled across this document.

https://www.delcity.net/documents/au...ay_diagram.jsp

This is where I'm hoping to get some guidance.

It appears that the relay itself doesn't determine Normally open or closed, but it's how you wire the socket.

Yes??

Old 04-19-2021, 10:54 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
The 5 prong ice cube relay is a very versatile devise. Your load is 30-87 or 30-87a 85 and 86 are the trigger. Do you want to use pull to ground or pull to high? It is your choice.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
normally closed, normally open, relays