Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2022, 02:02 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32' Two peeps and a Dog!
Remote Starter

Hello all,

I searched the forum for remote starter threads and did not get anywhere. Ive got a 2002 international 3800 blue bird handylift bus. dt466e allison2000 200amp starter and two group 31's in the batt box.

The issue, I currently have to get out of wheelchair and crawl up the steps to start the bus. then I crawl back down and into my wheelchair. I then am able to use the lift to get on the bus. then when it comes time to get off the bus i have to do it in reverse. start the bus, go down the lift, stow the lift, crawl up steps, turn off key, crawl down steps get back in wheelchair.

I have tried to come up with ideas on how to solve the issue here are the three Ive come up with. Can yall help me figure this out?

Option 1: remote start. Ive done a bit of googleing and it seems diesel remote starters are mainly manufactured by brand so fitment is based off ford gm dodge ect. Is there one that will work on my bus?

Option 2: push button start in a locked box next to the lift. This would need to be custom wired and all and I have no clue where to start with this. Say I start the bus from the ground outside, get in the bus, drive around then stop and want to turn off the engine how do I do that from inside the bus.

Option 3: Add a batt box and batts dedicated to the lift charged from the alternator. I like this idea since when parked I'm not going to want to start the bus every time I want to go in or out. I could even have it charged off solar too?

Ok Hive its your turn...

Old 08-19-2022, 02:44 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
My lift runs off its own battery. It's the only thing on it. I have actually joined it up to the starter battery while I rearrange things, but my lift is independent of the bus systems. The only thing is that the door closed switch is connected to my switches up front to blink if door is open. If it's a ricon, you should just be able to change the terminal to one that is always on or run a second battery on an isolator.

Now remote start might still be worth it for other reasons for you as it's more of a pain for you to warm up or cool down your bus. I haven't personally installed one, but you should be able to get a generic one that sits behind the ignition key and "hotwires" the bus for you, we don't have complex alarms or HVAC controls to automate.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:16 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
My lift runs off its own battery. It's the only thing on it. I have actually joined it up to the starter battery while I rearrange things, but my lift is independent of the bus systems. The only thing is that the door closed switch is connected to my switches up front to blink if door is open. If it's a ricon, you should just be able to change the terminal to one that is always on or run a second battery on an isolator.

Now remote start might still be worth it for other reasons for you as it's more of a pain for you to warm up or cool down your bus. I haven't personally installed one, but you should be able to get a generic one that sits behind the ignition key and "hotwires" the bus for you, we don't have complex alarms or HVAC controls to automate.
I do have a Ricon lift. So I can just take the power wire and attach it to its own battery? It should work as advertised, right? Could I in the mean time do a new power wire straight to the current bus batteries? Bypassing all the ignition/key stuff?
Old 08-19-2022, 04:18 PM   #4
Almost There

Quote:

yes this is very true.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:25 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMartineau View Post
I do have a Ricon lift. So I can just take the power wire and attach it to its own battery? It should work as advertised, right? Could I in the mean time do a new power wire straight to the current bus batteries? Bypassing all the ignition/key stuff?

It should work unless it has a special interlock preventing it. I would trace the wire from the bottom of the lift motor back to where it is hooked up. I bet yours goes back to the electrical box and is on the busbar behind the key on solenoid. There should be an always on busbar you can move it to right next to it.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:35 PM   #6
Almost There

Quote:
I bet yours goes back to the electrical box and is on the busbar behind the key on solenoid. There should be an always on busbar you can move it to right next to it.
If this is true, If I move it to the "always on bus bar" then no matter if the key is in or not the lift will go up and down? Guess its time to bone up on wire diagrams. There's a beautiful one on the door to the electric panel. If only I could read it... lol
Old 08-19-2022, 04:39 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
If this is true, If I move it to the "always on bus bar" then no matter if the key is in or not the lift will go up and down? Guess its time to bone up on wire diagrams. There's a beautiful one on the door to the electric panel. If only I could read it... lol

There's still a remote that raises it up and down right? My power wire just feeds 12v to the lift controller and the remote raises and lowers it..
Old 08-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #8
Almost There

Here are pics of my electric panel and the diagram on the door...
Attached Thumbnails
20220819_173727.jpg   20220819_173720.jpg  
Old 08-19-2022, 05:02 PM   #9
Almost There

The lone wire coming from the lift seems to be a ground...?
Attached Thumbnails
20220819_174308.jpg   20220819_174347.jpg  
Old 08-19-2022, 05:03 PM   #10
Almost There

Quote:
There's still a remote that raises it up and down right? My power wire just feeds 12v to the lift controller and the remote raises and lowers it..
Yes there's a remote I use to operate the lift
Old 08-19-2022, 06:54 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Here are pics of my electric panel and the diagram on the door...

Those two silver things are solenoids. One is likely hot with key on, the other is probably hot when the key is on and heater master is on.

Those bus bars are probably hot always, hot key on, and hot heater master and key on..

My panel looks very close to this.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:56 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
The lone wire coming from the lift seems to be a ground...?

I can't tell, but that stud might be an isolated one to join two wires. Mine looks the same, but the wire goes all the way up to the battery box. Turn your bus on and multimeter that for 12v (with your wheels chocked..) then, trace where it runs, but it's to the key on electrical bus.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:49 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Hello all,

I have tried to come up with ideas on how to solve the issue here are the three Ive come up with. Can yall help me figure this out?

Option 1: remote start. Ive done a bit of googleing and it seems diesel remote starters are mainly manufactured by brand so fitment is based off ford gm dodge ect. Is there one that will work on my bus?

Ok Hive its your turn...
It can be done!
On an International Amtran RE bus they have a complete and paralleled starting system.
You can start the bus from the rear engine compartment.

Using the wiring from a donor you. An quite easily transplant it to your bus.

I posted lot of Amtran wiring diagrams in this thread post # 20 I believe is where you will find the wiring for the vim box.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:17 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Option 3

The lift batteries can also be house batteries.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:52 AM   #15
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
The lift batteries can also be house batteries.

William
Yeah I suppose I could buy the type of house battery I planned on using maybe just one in the mean time and hook the lift to it... then I'd need a few other pieces right since they'll be lithium ion phosphate or similar Like a charge controller and a way to recharge them. Almost seems like I'd have to build my whole electric system.

While that may be the final goal, I need something simple easy now.
Old 08-20-2022, 01:42 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
I was just thinking

A couple lead acid batteries and an automatic battery isolator. Pretty much just a plug and play.
Put in a second battery box on the lift side of the bus.
William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Hello all,

I searched the forum for remote starter threads and did not get anywhere. Ive got a 2002 international 3800 blue bird handylift bus. dt466e allison2000 200amp starter and two group 31's in the batt box.

The issue, I currently have to get out of wheelchair and crawl up the steps to start the bus. then I crawl back down and into my wheelchair. I then am able to use the lift to get on the bus. then when it comes time to get off the bus i have to do it in reverse. start the bus, go down the lift, stow the lift, crawl up steps, turn off key, crawl down steps get back in wheelchair.

Option 2: push button start in a locked box next to the lift. This would need to be custom wired and all and I have no clue where to start with this. Say I start the bus from the ground outside, get in the bus, drive around then stop and want to turn off the engine how do I do that from inside the bus.

Option 3: Add a batt box and batts dedicated to the lift charged from the alternator. I like this idea since when parked I'm not going to want to start the bus every time I want to go in or out. I could even have it charged off solar too?

Ok Hive its your turn...
Hi! I am following this thread. I am a disabled grandmother who travels for suicide awareness, and I just bought a 40 ft 2001 3800 international with the same motor. My lift is in the back. With my bus, you have to turn on the battery outside the bus, crawl up the steps and start the bus crawl back down out of the bus get in wheelchair and then struggle to get the ramp door open. It is really high off the ground. I am outside Palestine Tx.
Jeffey's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote