Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: all American
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 84
Removed bus flooring. Ready to tackle electrical system- Help!!!

Hello,

I'm really new at this. Just got a 2000 Bluebird All American bus. Started the conversion process and need help.

I removed the flooring to check for any signs of rust and take care of it.

Next I need to work on the electrical system prior to insulating the bus.

I am clueless about the process. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
What should I look for?

Comments/ Help much appreciated.

Thank you!

Brady78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
somewhereinusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Andrews,Indiana
Posts: 2,193
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
I am clueless about the process. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
What should I look for?
Really? Do you think we are supposed to have any idea about what you are asking? We have no idea of what you are trying to accomplish. YOU have to have some sort of plan. I suggest you spend a few weeks reading old posts, get a plan on paper. No one is going to, or be able to, answer such a generic question.

Dick
somewhereinusa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: all American
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Really? Do you think we are supposed to have any idea about what you are asking? We have no idea of what you are trying to accomplish. YOU have to have some sort of plan. I suggest you spend a few weeks reading old posts, get a plan on paper. No one is going to, or be able to, answer such a generic question.

Dick
Hey Dick,

Thanks for the lecture and all the help. I appreciate it.

Sounds like someone needs to get some.

Brady
Brady78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
somewhereinusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Andrews,Indiana
Posts: 2,193
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
What should I look for?
Wires.
Try asking well thought out specific questions.

I'm beginning to agree with Nat.
somewhereinusa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Salt Lake City Utah
Posts: 1,624
Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Seriously though, "work on the electrical system" is fairly ambiguous.

The coach electrical system? I'm not sure there's any standard thing on that; it seems most of us just leave that stuff (turn signals, head lights, brakes, horn, charging system) alone. Usually the school-specific safety stuff has to be disabled or removed (red/yellow lights, swing-out stop signs, etc) but that seems to be different for each bus.

A 120 volt system? There are threads here for that http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/ho...ac-448-16.html and http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/rv...y-7862-10.html

A house dc system? I think there's a thread on that too, but as I recall there aren't the same degree of "standard/good practices" for dc as for ac.

I guess the first step is to define what you want the electrical system to do for you. Here on skoolie.net I've seen it run the gamut from an all-electric coach with electric instant/tankless water heater all the way to just enough solar and battery to warm a hot drink and run a few LEDs.

If you can kind of draw an outline of what you want an electrical system to do, then we can give more specific suggestions or feedback on how to get there.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:06 PM   #6
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NUNYA
Posts: 4,234
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw


Red is positive and black is negative. Is this what you are looking for?
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:17 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
LRflip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Estes Park, CO
Posts: 67
Year: 1994
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: B700
Engine: 5.9L 12V Cummins
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady78 View Post
Hello,

I'm really new at this. Just got a 2000 Bluebird All American bus. Started the conversion process and need help.

I removed the flooring to check for any signs of rust and take care of it.

Next I need to work on the electrical system prior to insulating the bus.

I am clueless about the process. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
What should I look for?

Comments/ Help much appreciated.

Thank you!

Start by isolating and labeling all the wires you find. Figure out where they go, figure out what they run, label them simply, then figure out if you need them or not. This is where I would start.

More specific questions will get you more specific answers, just remember to ask before you F something up that you can't fix.
__________________
I don't negotiate with terrorists...or Canadians.
LRflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:28 AM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 719
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Actually, technically, well...sort of what I've seen is black is power and white is ground on bluebird busses.

But then all the other systems have other colors anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post


Red is positive and black is negative. Is this what you are looking for?
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Snowflake, Arizona
Posts: 329
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Wiring doesn't explain whether you are doing 12 volt or adding 120
volt house wiring. If it's 12 volt and your bus is new enough you can
go to Central States Bus Sales and download a wiring schematic for
your bus. This will show you what each circuit goes to in your bus.
When you look at wires in your Blue Bird you will find small numbers
on each factory wire which identifies the circuit they go to. If you don't
want to use that circuit you can remove the wire or re-purpose it for
something else you will use. The 120 volt side of wiring is a whole other
subject.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 100
You (OP) need to look at your bus like a house.

Ever seen someone build a house without floor plan and electrical plans? Sure you can, but you can't really asks someone for help if they can't look at what you have in mind...

Look at you conversion like a house.

What's going where, what type of devices (and power consumption it has etc).
Where are going the tanks and plumbing
etc.

You there is no 1 recipe because no one chooses a bus to build it like someone else's. They'd buy an RV...

Figure out a plan, then make an effort to sketch out a way to acheive it then double check with people here.

Right now you look like you haven't done your homework and no teacher wants to help someone who doesn't work on their own a bit...
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NUNYA
Posts: 4,234
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
Actually, technically, well...sort of what I've seen is black is power and white is ground on bluebird busses.

But then all the other systems have other colors anyway.
I was still at the battery.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #12
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 308
I understand completely the frustration, I have worked customer service most of my life. That said it takes nothing to not be a dick (unless your name is Richard). I agree be concise and don't waste peoples precious time and for the love of god don't be a dirty hippy too misguided by "good vibrations" and completely lacking a plan.
The option to ignore idiots and time wasters on the board, and any other, is in your hands. Instead of getting into a berating session. Just click the x and move on with your life, if you don't have constructive things to say.

OR

Why don't you write an excellent "how to" with loads of good pictures, links and other resources then STICKY it so that people can bask in you knowledge with out bothering you.

OR

Make a new sections called the NOOBS playground where people can ask dumb questions and threads about such things can be moved to.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #13
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Posts: 1,724
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
Make a new sections called the NOOBS playground where people can ask dumb questions and threads about such things can be moved to.
+1
That right there is a great idea!
__________________
My build page: Armageddon - The Smell of Airborne Rust
jazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:53 PM   #14
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Roger that...we were all newbies at something at sometime. Enough already with the arrogant, superior whining. How about some simple good manners people and welcome newcomers with a bit more courtesy.

(Please notice I intentionally avoided using "common courtesy" since like "common sense", these days, there is nothing "common " about either one at all.)
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:23 AM   #15
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 719
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Ok, going on tango's observation I'll make a reset the conversation post.

If brady78 is still watching these posts, I'd like to ask: which electrical system are you talking about?I'm sort of going to guess you are talking about the run of wiring to the back of the bus, the ones that illuminate the tail lights and school flashers up top.

Yes/no/close?

PS: in the electrical box your primary grounds to the body ground post are white, and your primary positive feeds from switched and unswitched power are black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Roger that...we were all newbies at something at sometime. Enough already with the arrogant, superior whining. How about some simple good manners people and welcome newcomers with a bit more courtesy.

(Please notice I intentionally avoided using "common courtesy" since like "common sense", these days, there is nothing "common " about either one at all.)
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #16
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Thanks Aaron...I wasn't really directing my annoyance necessarily at this thread or anything in it. It was simply at the overall level of pissy responses that seems to have taken over the whole forum whenever newbies ask "dumb" questions. What is truly dumb is the amount of negative energy that has been put into calling them down by the know-it-alls who seem to have nothing else to offer than vitriol.

I'll say it again...

I have always had a helluva lot more patience with sincere ignorance on a subject than I ever did with arrogance and bad manners.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #17
Site Team
 
Janet H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Washington State
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Thanks Aaron.

I'll say it again...

I have always had a helluva lot more patience with sincere ignorance on a subject than I ever did with arrogance and bad manners.
Yup.


We've removed a pile of posts that are offtopic. Folks - one more time:

Do NOT tell new members to "go search" for their answers.

You can bet that if someone took the time to register on the forum they have already been looking for help. Either offer up some assistance or don't post - plain and simple.
__________________
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #18
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,278
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Thanks Aaron...I wasn't really directing my annoyance necessarily at this thread or anything in it. It was simply at the overall level of pissy responses that seems to have taken over the whole forum whenever newbies ask "dumb" questions. What is truly dumb is the amount of negative energy that has been put into calling them down by the know-it-alls who seem to have nothing else to offer than vitriol.

I'll say it again...

I have always had a helluva lot more patience with sincere ignorance on a subject than I ever did with arrogance and bad manners.
That's a geat way of looking at it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #19
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NUNYA
Posts: 4,234
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
That's a geat way of looking at it.

I agree with my friend here.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:17 PM   #20
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Thank you Janet.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×