Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Replace Flasher Lights with Clear Lense

I want to change my flashing lights at the top with either clear lenses or flood lights. I don't want to remove and cover them over with metal. I am sure others have done this. Where did you get the clear lens or is there flood lights that are 7 inches that will fit right into the hole?

I also want to remove them from the flasher so they don't flash when I turn them on. Is there an easy way to do this?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1739.jpg  

Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

To piggyback onto your question, while I know it's not legal to have the flashing lights operational...are you allowed to rig the back lights up as additional brake and turn signal lights?
jonnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnichols View Post
To piggyback onto your question, while I know it's not legal to have the flashing lights operational...are you allowed to rig the back lights up as additional brake and turn signal lights?
I did see another thread which talked about turning them into turn and/or brake lights. And there were DOT code references so it was detailed. I don't remember where I saw it though. I want to turn mine into flood lights so I can light up the front or rear of the bus when appropriate.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800 Carpenter
Engine: DT360 / AT545
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
I like this.

EPISODE 9 - Flood Lights & Windows — Wilderness Wandering
oredigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oredigger View Post
Thanks for that great information! I have already downloaded the catalouge from Midwest Bus Supplies and I need a towel to wipe away my drool!!!!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
I got my clear lens from a bus parts company, here in Ontario , just the clear covers , but I'm going to take them off and cover them up. Personally I just don't like the look, and they really don't provide great lighting, that's just me.
gbstewart
Old 05-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
Currently, I have turned my rear flashers into additional brake lights and turn signals and I plan on doing the same with the fronts. I'll make them both amber lenses and leave the inside ones as running lights and the outer lights will be running/turn signals. I've ordered my 7" lights from Unityparts.com and midwestbusparts.com. Typically Unity has been cheaper. It's pretty simple to do. Just find the necessary wires in the harness and tap into them. I figure the more brake/turn/tail lights the better.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
Bus Nut

On my old bus the top lense covers were removed and those halogens reached out about 1/4 mile.. Any idea how much light they put out with the clear lenses like on my back up lights?

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowserJournal View Post
I want to change my flashing lights at the top with either clear lenses or flood lights. I don't want to remove and cover them over with metal. I am sure others have done this. Where did you get the clear lens or is there flood lights that are 7 inches that will fit right into the hole?

I also want to remove them from the flasher so they don't flash when I turn them on. Is there an easy way to do this?
On my bus the flashing module was removed so they were inoperable as flashing. MD requires the lights to be removed, covered, or repurposed. In my case I swapped the lenses front and rear. The rears are parking lights and all red. The fronts are all amber and are turn signals.

The fronts I disconnected the wires from the outside junction box and ran a jumper wire between the two bulbs. Then ran another and tied it to the turn signals in the nose of the bus. I need to go back into the junction box and tie it to the side markers just to make the wiring cleaner.

A word of caution to those of you wanting to use them as floods with the 7" bulbs. For whatever reason, mine are 2 filament bulbs. I've never seen a bus with "high beam" flashers. The bulbs themselves only have 2 terminals and are NOT grounded thru the bulb itself so no clue why they have 2 filaments. Anywho, I left the 7" bulbs in there. With the 4 as parking lights in the rear and always on (not flashing and not brakes), they literally melted a 25 amp fuse. I don't mean it blew the fuse. The fuse actually held but got so hot, it melted the body of the fuse!!

I bought a bunch of 1156 sockets and bulbs. Replaced all the 7" flood light with single filament bulbs. The original 15 amp fuse now holds just fine. The 7" bulbs are 75W. Four bulbs, 75W each, 300W total, @ 12V = 25A. Plus whatever bulbs were originally part of the parking light circuit. I was just over 25A but not a sudden surge so it didn't blow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnichols View Post
MD is full of commie wanna-bes but it is perfectly legal to repurpose your lights. Additionally, you are allowed as many side, clearance, turn, parking, and brake lights as you wish. Look at the semi trucks on the interstate. Some of those guys are rolling Xmas trees.

If you guys go the route of floods, they have to be covered when not in use. You can cover them with something as simple as a sock and pass but 1) socks wouldn't work well 2) reaching up to cover them every time you drive somewhere would get old even if you used something fancier than a sock.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I found clear 7" lenses at an RV salvage yard - no idea how they got there but they work. I put the ambers on the out side - and will try to convert those to directionals on the front and back - the others I have as white for now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6723.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	13939

I will try to convert the two middle rear lights into additional run / brake lights... because people still never seem to see me coming!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowserJournal View Post

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6681.jpg  
Dog Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I will try to convert the two middle rear lights into additional run / brake lights... because people still never seem to see me coming!!
Here you go.

I'm still not sure how you can miss a bus. Mine is still covered in reflective tape but the bus with me on the trip home had no tail light (blown fuse that we didn't know about) and it still lights up like an Xmas tree with all the tape.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Parking.doc (105.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: doc Flashers.doc (190.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: doc Directional.doc (110.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 08-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #12

Any suggestions on which bulbs to use. I want to convert flashers to floods for backing up.
Billydlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
reverse light covers

search for reverse light covers on bus supply sites, of the same size, that is how I found them,
I did not change the bulbs, they are ok for area lights but they light up the hood a lot so they are not very good while driving,

you might want to hook them up so you can just turn one or two on at a time, they will drain your battery fast if the engine is not running
Old 08-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #14
Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb, the real one View Post
search for reverse light covers on bus supply sites, of the same size, that is how I found them
Yep, I actually replaced my halogen flasher lights with normal 7" brake lights or turn signals and then I swapped over to LED 1156 or 1157 bulbs depending on the application. For nice, bright reverse lights you could use a bulb similar to this.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rofit-car/163/
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #15

Great thank you. Any threads about rewiring to stop those lights from flashing?
Billydlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billydlyon View Post
Great thank you. Any threads about rewiring to stop those lights from flashing?
I started to rewire mine but I've got a bulkhead in the rear I couldn't get thru. Spent hours messing with it. Then it dawned on me that everything runs thru the junction box outside the driver window. Swap the wires from flasher to the same terminal the brakes are on. Done!!! Easy peasy.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I am still trying to get the top flashers connected to the directionals - it should be a lot easier to find those wires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I started to rewire mine but I've got a bulkhead in the rear I couldn't get thru. Spent hours messing with it. Then it dawned on me that everything runs thru the junction box outside the driver window. Swap the wires from flasher to the same terminal the brakes are on. Done!!! Easy peasy.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I am still trying to get the top flashers connected to the directionals - it should be a lot easier to find those wires...
From the 1999 FSM.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Flashers.doc (190.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: doc Directional.doc (110.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Most NAPA stores have a GROTE catalog.GROTE is the manufacturer for a lot of those lights and lenses. I found new exact replacement lenses and 1156 bulb upgrades and am going to wire ny front and back wires from the flasher module to seperate toggle switches for star backup lights and front flood lights as needed
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowserjournal, flahsers, lights