Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Replacing Bulbs with LEDs?

Although I spent many years driving city and tour buses, I spent the last two years before retirement driving school buses. I was always very impressed with the quality and serviceability of the Thomas HDX units in our fleet. So I plan now, in my 68th year, to build my own “skoolie” for travel, and for residential use on my New Mexico property. I’ll be using a 31-foot, lift-equipped HDX, in which I will keep the lift operational… I need it!

Anyway, what I want advice on is wiring for signal lights, etc. My intention is to eliminate the red front warning flasher (perhaps will have a spot light in its place), and wire the amber flashers into the turn signal system. In the rear, I’ll keep the red flashers, but wire them up as high-mounted brake lights. Now, with all that, I also want to make all signals and markers into LED units. I’ve heard that some flasher units “misbehave” when dealing with the lower power draw of LED’s. Any ideas here?

Old 11-05-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Just add a little resister to the wiring. Even a single incandescent stop lamp bulb tucked away in a dark hole somewhere usually works. If you want to go first class buy LED's that already have the resisters built in.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:16 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
From what I've seen, typical hard wired circuits (with or without thermal flashers) don't usually have a problem with LED's. Where you usually see the flickering and pulsing is where an electronic controller regulates voltage or controls ground to the bulb, or where CANBUS is involved. Which I don't think is the case with any busses that are in the general circulation right now.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote