Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Yes. NEC 400.7
However, the facts contained, therein, contradict the aformentioned instructions provided, by you.
Everyone knows that rubber (so insulation) has a short lifespan & does not dissipate heat well. Thats why SO must be run in free air. Exceptions include assemblies which have been UL listed. The facts are available. I don't make the rules, it's science, I follow the code book. Please don't burry SO cable into a build. It will degrade.

I can’t dispute the science but the likelihood of my bus overall outliving the rubber is almost nil. And if you can certify something at UL listed with SO type cord inside it’s gonna be fine most other places. I guess it’s all some level of risk mitigation but I feel like I skoolie is a bit different than a house that’s likely to live 100+ years.

rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rffffffff View Post
I can’t dispute the science but the likelihood of my bus overall outliving the rubber is almost nil. And if you can certify something at UL listed with SO type cord inside it’s gonna be fine most other places. I guess it’s all some level of risk mitigation but I feel like I skoolie is a bit different than a house that’s likely to live 100+ years.
"Can't argue science......", huh? Then talks of 100 year rubber, ha.
Wish my tires would handle that kinda heat. 100 years, using it? That is white fire running through that copper, It gets hot.

Don't just read it hear, folks
Look up the truth. THEN, take the risk so we can't pretend we don't know better later. Jury, loved ones, angry neighbor, pets, kids. No worries. My conscience is clear, just knowing that the facts are written next to your lies which might otherwise injure a following sheep.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:27 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
"Can't argue science......", huh? Then talks of 100 year rubber, ha.
Wish my tires would handle that kinda heat. 100 years, using it? That is white fire running through that copper, It gets hot.

Don't just read it hear, folks
Look up the truth. THEN, take the risk so we can't pretend we don't know better later. Jury, loved ones, angry neighbor, pets, kids. No worries. My conscience is clear, just knowing that the facts are written next to your lies which might otherwise injure a following sheep.

I wasn’t saying rubber is going to last 100 years, I’m saying they the bus has no chance of outlasting the rubber. I wouldn’t do it in a 100 year house.

Either way, it’s not personal against you but a personal choice in our busses and works fine based on experience. If your wire is heating up enough to degrade the rubber you have other issues.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:04 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

400.7 Uses Permitted.

(A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for the following:

(1) Pendants.

(2) Wiring of luminaires.

(3) Connection of portable luminaires, portable and mobile signs, or appliances.

(4) Elevator cables.

(5) Wiring of cranes and hoists.

(6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange.

(7) Prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration.

( Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.

(9) Connection of moving parts.

(10) Where specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code.

(11) Between an existing receptacle outlet and an inlet, where the inlet provides power to an additional single receptacle outlet. The wiring interconnecting the inlet to the single receptacle outlet shall be a Chapter 3 wiring method. The inlet, receptacle outlet, and Chapter 3 wiring method, including the flexible cord and fittings, shall be a listed assembly specific for this application.

‐------------

Science is not a religious, sexual or political choice.

With science, you don't have to believe it, a fact is a fact.
Just ignoring it, makes one ignorant.

In the diagram below, you'll notice the SO is exposed. Romex, mc, emt, etc. down the inside wall, junction in a jbox. Running SO inside the wall, for TV, has caused fires. Thus, the 2014 addition of (11) above. Should be on your license renewal exam.

Flat screen tvs are not 100 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
qid111.jpg  
Old 05-23-2021, 09:19 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
400.7 Uses Permitted.

(A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for the following:

(1) Pendants.

(2) Wiring of luminaires.

(3) Connection of portable luminaires, portable and mobile signs, or appliances.

(4) Elevator cables.

(5) Wiring of cranes and hoists.

(6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange.

(7) Prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration.

( Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.

(9) Connection of moving parts.

(10) Where specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code.

(11) Between an existing receptacle outlet and an inlet, where the inlet provides power to an additional single receptacle outlet. The wiring interconnecting the inlet to the single receptacle outlet shall be a Chapter 3 wiring method. The inlet, receptacle outlet, and Chapter 3 wiring method, including the flexible cord and fittings, shall be a listed assembly specific for this application.

‐------------

Science is not a religious, sexual or political choice.

With science, you don't have to believe it, a fact is a fact.
Just ignoring it, makes one ignorant.

In the diagram below, you'll notice the SO is exposed. Romex, mc, emt, etc. down the inside wall, junction in a jbox. Running SO inside the wall, for TV, has caused fires. Thus, the 2014 addition of (11) above. Should be on your license renewal exam.

Flat screen tvs are not 100 years old.

Interesting “prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration” seems to fit a skoolie quite well.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:02 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
i am past the romex thing?
figured out a different path and layout for liquatite.
but lets play the extension cord question game?
on hear years ago i was advised against using extension cord in insulated areas because it was already insulated and if in a conduit or insulation it would get to hot?
when i asked those questions for my big bus? i have two 100' extension cord hanging so i can get the generator away from it or plug into shore power.
my short bus is the one i am arguing with now?
would love to run extension cord or SO/SJ cord instead of liquatite but almost have all conduit ran.
what would be theside effects of an extension cord ran through non metallic liquatite?
Why do you want to run extension cord in conduit? Run your #12 and #10 thhn conductors in the conduit to your j boxes where you make your connections.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:17 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
In a perfect world you'd would have a weatherproof power Inlet mounted outside that you could plug your cord into.
You know, shore power.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:46 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
In a perfect world you'd would have a weatherproof power Inlet mounted outside that you could plug your cord into.
You know, shore power.
Yeah, now you've got it. SO cord can and ought be used as a whip from an RV to shore power. As Phatman described, with joints in a jbox to thhn, mc, romex, or other wire meathod, approved for it's use.

Most modern structures use a combination of wiring methods and materials. There's really not, one single, go-to, wiring method to be used indoors, outdoor, exposed, surface mount, protected, buried, and oil resistant locations. There are best management practices and there are also liabilities & misuse.