Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Roof AC wiring help

My mom has a bus she wants to make into a Skoolie eventually but right now itís mainly a flower pot sitting in the yard. She works in there sometimes and it is to much to always run the bus to run the roof ac So I was wondering if there was a way I can open up the ac and wire a plug to it so I can plug it right into an extension cord instead of having it wired to the bus electrical system. This way she can run the roof top Ac just by plugging it in and that way donít have to run the bus. I havenít looked at the wiring yet but was wondering if anybody else has done this so they can plug it into a house or directly into a generator? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jaydeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Cerrillos, NM
Posts: 393
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
It’s impossible to say without knowing so much more. It’s likely possible, but you have to make sure you don’t ever mix 120v ac sources, ie have the bus running and the ac plugged into the bus at the same time. Most of the time there’s a transfer switch that allows for plugging into shore power but if the bus isn’t converted yet it’s a whole mother question and the ac unit may not run on household current.
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Rivetboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Huntington Beach CA.
Posts: 939
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydeeeze View Post
My mom has a bus she wants to make into a Skoolie eventually but right now itís mainly a flower pot sitting in the yard. She works in there sometimes and it is to much to always run the bus to run the roof ac So I was wondering if there was a way I can open up the ac and wire a plug to it so I can plug it right into an extension cord instead of having it wired to the bus electrical system. This way she can run the roof top Ac just by plugging it in and that way donít have to run the bus. I havenít looked at the wiring yet but was wondering if anybody else has done this so they can plug it into a house or directly into a generator? Thanks in advance for any help.
With out knowing year , make and model... What it does sound like though if the engine has to be started to run the air conditioner it is an engine driven compressor that only works when the engine is spinning it. It cannot be converted to run on 120 VAC.. Buy a window air conditioner and mount it in a window.and get creative with some plywood and deck screws.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:33 AM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
With out knowing year , make and model... What it does sound like though if the engine has to be started to run the air conditioner it is an engine driven compressor that only works when the engine is spinning it. It cannot be converted to run on 120 VAC.. Buy a window air conditioner and mount it in a window.and get creative with some plywood and deck screws.
This is a rooftop AC unit that does not run off the engine. It just runs off the power when the bus is running. I want to disconnect it from the bus wiring and just wire a cord with a plug to the wires that I would unhook that are connected to the bus electrical system. That way she can plug it in to the house and run the ac without having to run the bus to turn it on. I think itís a Coleman rooftop unit It has 2 units. The front unit runs off the ac compressor on the motor but the compressor is bad. The rear unit is completely self contained and just needs power to turn on. I guess Iíll take the cover off and see what wires it has and just wire it like as if I were going to run it to a generator. Unhook it from the bus power and use my home as a power source. I was just hoping somebody could tell me if roof top Ac units use 2 or 3 wires and why the colors are or should be.
Jaydeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:17 AM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,856
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Our Coleman Roughneck rooftop unit runs off 120V. It has a hot wire, a neutral wire and a ground wire running to it.



By your description it *sounds* like the 120V AC electrical is powered through an inverter. You might research the inverter and see if it also acts as a transfer switch. Alternately, you could rewire the source for the breaker that powers the air conditioner. I am a bit surprised it does not have a shore power receptical that you can plug into and not have to run the engine to provide power.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:27 AM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
It’s a school bus that hasn’t been converted to anything yet. The only thing done is the seats have been taken out. I’ve never seen anywhere to plug in a school bus. If there is maybe somebody can chime in and let me know where to look?
Jaydeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:28 AM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Our Coleman Roughneck rooftop unit runs off 120V. It has a hot wire, a neutral wire and a ground wire running to it.



By your description it *sounds* like the 120V AC electrical is powered through an inverter. You might research the inverter and see if it also acts as a transfer switch. Alternately, you could rewire the source for the breaker that powers the air conditioner. I am a bit surprised it does not have a shore power receptical that you can plug into and not have to run the engine to provide power.
Thanks for the info. I think that will help.
Jaydeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.