Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #1

Year: 1975
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: short bus fe.
Engine: 366ci chevrolet
running a freezer on a power inverter?

I have a small chest freezer modified with a refrigerator thermostat. (doesn't need to get as cold so doesn't have to run as long) I don't have the specs for power consumption, but I am trying to get the average size of power inverter used to power a 7 cu. ft. fridge, and if it is even possible to run it off a battery bank with a 350 watt solar recharging system and 6 8D size batteries.

dreadballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: running a freezer on a power inverter?

You need 2 different numbers - the watts when running and the watt-hours per day. The watts when running could come from the data plate, and would be needed to size a big enough inverter. The inverter needs to supply peak power, not average power, and it needs to be big enough to start the compressor as well as keep it going.

The watt-hour per day usage is harder to figure. The best way is to plug the AC cord into a Power Angel or Kill-a-Watt meter, and let it add up the usage. Another way would be to find a scrap hour meter that would record how long the external thermostat supplies power, and multiply the daily hours by the data plate figure. The usage will change based on whether the freezer is in an unheated basement in Alaska, or on a sun porch in Arizona. The good part of this variation is that with solar, is there is more sun available when more cooling is needed.

Once you know your usage, you can figure the required battery and solar capacity. If you are short on cash, get more batteries than solar and top them off with a small genset every now and then.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #3

Year: 1975
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: short bus fe.
Engine: 366ci chevrolet
Re: running a freezer on a power inverter?

Thanks guys. That is some good info. I'll post pics when she's done.
dreadballa is offline   Reply With Quote