Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2022, 10:03 AM   #1

Running, shut itself off, now no crank….

I’ve been rolling through the forum to try and get answers before posting this, nothing has changed so seeking some knowledge. First let me say I left interlock in place and bus has been functioning since I bought and converted it for last 2 and half years. It’s 2003 blue bird international 3800, dt 466e. I fired it up one day to move it. Bus ran for about a minute or two and shut off. When I tried to restart, nothing. Won’t turn over, goes through safety checks and clicks at solenoid in panel beside driver. Does not click starter solenoid. Here’s what I’ve done. Both solenoids in panel have been replaced a year ish ago and both batteries are about 2.5 years old. Batteries are charged and I can jump the starter solenoid to get bus to turn over, strong, but will not start. I’ve checked every fuse I can find in battery box and both the dash panel and outside panel by driver side. Bus is in neutral and I have wiggled shifter wheel trying to crank. I did replace key switch because mine was sticky anyway after the no crank, it was factory repelacwment and plug and play. There is power leaving the main fuse in battery box after the fuse. So, I turn key on, I have NO warning light. Only the air pressure light. Nothing else lights up. Soooo, I would like to bypass interlock if ther is way to do it from the relay. The only wiring I removed was from the two a/c units. Any suggestions or help is appreciated, thank for help!

Flnative adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:08 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
No warning lights

That’s the clue. You have lost battery power somewhere. Since it does not activate the solenoids, it is likely to be something in common with Engine computer and start position for the key switch. What is common to both. New parts can be faulty. Fuses can crack and test good under no load. Good luck. Chasing angry pixies is time consuming work.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:35 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
What magnakansas said. Your ECM needs to see a minimum voltage at specific connector pins or it won't fire the injectors. You need to determine if it's seeing that correct voltage which is specific to your system. I was just looking at the information for my bus but that does nothing to help you since you have a BlueBird DT466 and I have an IC T444e. You either have to have the correct manuals for your bus or you'll be forever having to ask people to tell you what those manuals say.

I assume (I may be wrong) your bus has a manual way to put error codes using the dash board. I've pulled codes for my bus a number of times when I had trouble starting it and it's a clunky approach but effective. Hopefully someone who knows your bus will tell you about how to do it.

Good luck, I know it sucks when you're in this situation.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:00 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flnative adventures View Post
I’ve been rolling through the forum to try and get answers before posting this, nothing has changed so seeking some knowledge. First let me say I left interlock in place and bus has been functioning since I bought and converted it for last 2 and half years. It’s 2003 blue bird international 3800, dt 466e. I fired it up one day to move it. Bus ran for about a minute or two and shut off. When I tried to restart, nothing. Won’t turn over, goes through safety checks and clicks at solenoid in panel beside driver. Does not click starter solenoid. Here’s what I’ve done. Both solenoids in panel have been replaced a year ish ago and both batteries are about 2.5 years old. Batteries are charged and I can jump the starter solenoid to get bus to turn over, strong, but will not start. I’ve checked every fuse I can find in battery box and both the dash panel and outside panel by driver side. Bus is in neutral and I have wiggled shifter wheel trying to crank. I did replace key switch because mine was sticky anyway after the no crank, it was factory repelacwment and plug and play. There is power leaving the main fuse in battery box after the fuse. So, I turn key on, I have NO warning light. Only the air pressure light. Nothing else lights up. Soooo, I would like to bypass interlock if ther is way to do it from the relay. The only wiring I removed was from the two a/c units. Any suggestions or help is appreciated, thank for help!
Try visiting this Bluebird website, enter your vin number.
I never tried it but the site claims to have wiring manuals available.

https://vantage.blue-bird.com/Portal/Vantage-Home.aspx

Let us know if the site helped out with good info or not.

Question: what tranny do you have , push button or t-handle?
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:43 PM   #5

Thanks! I’ll try that. T- handle. Anything to look out for?
Old 01-04-2022, 06:44 PM   #6

Thanks. I may just replace all fuses on anything ignition or starting. Trying to check the low hanging fruit first you know.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:07 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Thanks. I may just replace all fuses on anything ignition or starting. Trying to check the low hanging fruit first you know.
This method of "trouble shooting" is called "throwing parts at it" and has two flaws.
ONE it can get expensive
TWO every time you change something you have the potential for introducing a NEW problem on top of the one you have.

TEST the fuses and leave them alone.
Find the COMMON things to all known symptoms

You said you can jumper the starter solenoid and it turns over strong. Havce you tested to see if, when the key is turned, that you get a appropriate voltage to activate the starter? I ASSUME you have but I don't like assuming and you didn't mention. If there isn't power with the key on it's SEE BELOW PARA

I suspect, there's either a blown fuse / circuit breaker / solenoid or a failed wire. Wire being the less likely but not improbable.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:07 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Thanks! I’ll try that. T- handle. Anything to look out for?
If you had a push button tranny and if it does not light up when you turn the key, you would get a no start situation.

Does not happen with the “T” handle, unless your sub switch is bad.

NSBU = neutral safety back up switch.

Grab a meter and physically test your new ignition switch.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:22 AM   #9

Website shows the history of my vehicle. But no diagrams or manuals to view. Going to try and get a wiring diagram from them so I know what wires to test on these switches. Easy way to bypass the sub switch? Is that what is connected to shifter on side of tranny with two plugs?