Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2024, 04:10 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 2010
Chassis: Bluebird Vision
Engine: Cummins 6.7 ISB Allison 2500
Rated Cap: ADA Lift Bus Lift Removed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ha! you jinxers!! 8 years ago when i got my DEV bus I put a bosch alternator (SB200) on it... now I read this thread and yesterday my alternator starting going wonky with the voltasges going all over the place..!! had to order a new one..
Unless you drive it a lot, it can't have that many miles on it. If voltages are going all over, all it probably needs is a voltage regulator. Open it up and install one. Many times you can buy kits to rebuild alternators incuding bearings, bushings, and brushes with a new voltage regulator. You can also usually find the voltage regulator sold by itself. I don't mind it a bit unless it's an old one that's been a reman a time or 2 cuz the armature and windings start going and you'll never get a good rebuild on something like that. But yours being new 8 years ago, it's a great candidate for a voltage reg if the voltage is all over the place and that's all. Probably don't even need brushes or bearing.

Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:14 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsherz View Post
Your knack for figuring things out reminds me of when I had to diagnose my old car's mysterious engine light. It turned out to be a faulty sensor causing all sorts of havoc. It's amazing how one small component can throw everything off.
That's by design to get you to scare you into the dealership. Often times we see fixing the first error will clear the rest. The rest of the errors are maybe minorly dependent on the first error being working, when in reality a lot of times it would just work mechanically.

On my Bus, I had a 223, ECM could not communicate to VPM. This caused literally 9 other codes. The bus was old enough it would still crank and drive, one of the codes was a turbo clogged issue. As soon as the VPM was fixed, I haven't seen that issue since, the turbo was never clogged.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:23 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466NGD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ha! you jinxers!! 8 years ago when i got my DEV bus I put a bosch alternator (SB200) on it... now I read this thread and yesterday my alternator starting going wonky with the voltasges going all over the place..!! had to order a new one..
Was the first failing Altenator a Leece Neville ?
Vapor Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote