Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2020, 12:14 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas 4-Window
Chassis: 2003 Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 6
Separate inverter and charger vs single inverter/charger unit

I got a great deal on a used Samlex solar 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter (Amazon link below). I didn't realize at the time it doesn't have a charging function.

Amazon.com - Samlex Solar PST-1500-12 PST Series Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Am I better off selling this and dropping the money on an invert/charger combo? Or just buy an onboard charger to plug into my shore power panel? Beyond simplicity of wiring with the combo unit, is there any advantages to either setup?

Thanks!
Fat Boy

FatBoySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:54 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoySTL View Post
I got a great deal on a used Samlex solar 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter (Amazon link below). I didn't realize at the time it doesn't have a charging function.

Amazon.com - Samlex Solar PST-1500-12 PST Series Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Am I better off selling this and dropping the money on an invert/charger combo? Or just buy an onboard charger to plug into my shore power panel? Beyond simplicity of wiring with the combo unit, is there any advantages to either setup?

Thanks!
Fat Boy
A couple thoughts come to mind:

Spending some time comparing the datasheets will likely tell you a lot. Things I'd look out for, surge capacity, idle power consumption, efficiency.

I think (but am not sure) that the Samlex PST is a high frequency inverter, and the Samlex Evo is a low frequency inverter/charger.

What this means:
  • The Evo will be much more capable of handling large surges (both in magnitude and duration)
  • The Evo has much more 'smarts' and configuration options
  • The Evo's dual AC inputs, and built in transfer switch are very convenient if you will use a generator and shorepower
  • The Evo is probably much more durable/will last a long time
  • The PST will probably be marginally more efficient
  • The PST will probably have lower idle power draw
  • The PST should be smaller, lighter, and cheaper
Also
  • Its easier to upgrade incrementally with separate components
  • You got a good deal on the PST
  • Whatever you choose, you will have a quality component from a reputable brand, the Evo is higher quality, but also higher priced and has some disadvantages.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:21 AM   #3
Almost There

Thanks, DZL!

That EVO sure looks nice, but it sounds like this PST-1500 will meet my immediate needs. I bought it for $75, so even adding a 10 amp onboard charger will still put me $800 ahead of the EVO.

I am only slightly concerned with surge capacity. I expect to run a 120 volt mini-fridge (.88kwh/day, 120w surge at compressor start). I'll also be running a 700w microwave (1200w draw) and a 1000w induction cook top (very rarely and not in conjunction with each other). It sounds like this PST-1500 should be able to handle all of that and be slightly more energy friendly for the 95% of the time that I'm just running the fridge. Even with surges and some extras (laptop charger), I won't exceed the 1500w continuous load rating and won't come close to the 3000w surge rating.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:51 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Damn!! $75 That's a steal of a deal and then some!

I agree, stick with what you have, if it meets your needs its ideal, if it doesn't, you can sell it for a good sized profit and put some of that money towards a larger inverter if/when that time comes.

But it sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on your power needs.

Some references for ya:
PST Manual
PST Spec Sheet
Samlex Inverter General Info
This last link has a super useful table on the last page that gives approximate surgees for different types of loads
Old 05-22-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Didn't we **just** have a very long and detailed discussion on this topic in another thread?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:20 PM   #6
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Didn't we **just** have a very long and detailed discussion on this topic in another thread?
Options:
1) Help out the new guy out by maybe pointing him to the thread.

2) Help a new guy out by showing him how to use the search function (frankly, I've done plenty of searches of this forum, and the search function leaves a little to be desired.

3) Help a new guy out by answering the question.

4) Help a new guy out by scrolling on by if you have no interest in 1 - 3.

5) Be "that guy", trying to make a new guy feel bad for asking a question.

You've been on this forum for 4 years. If you only responded to each unique question once, you'd be bored. So maybe I'm just doing you a coronavirus favor by giving you an opportunity to share your wealth of knowledge and not be bored.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
Bus Nut

This is probably the conversation being referred to
Old 05-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
HF inverters are not great at surge loads, really regardless of rating. Your fridge, microwave, etc should be fine, they "surge" but get under control pretty quickly. When you get to "real" surge loads like air compressors, grinders, etc- things with not-so-small motors like well pumps, LF is the way to go.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote