Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
The sole reason I'm not doing that is because I don't want to overload my cables.

If there were any scrapyards locally then I'd be there looking for parts. Either my area has no scrapyards or they don't advertise their presence due to ignorance or illegal operations. Been looking off and on for 10 years without finding any.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #82
Bus Geek

are you actually in South Carolina and can not find scrap yards or used rv parts?
Old 09-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #83
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
are you actually in South Carolina and can not find scrap yards or used rv parts?
Yup. Just outside the deadbeat town of Lexington.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #84
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephod_beeblebrox2 View Post
The sole reason I'm not doing that is because I don't want to overload my cables.
The 15A breaker at the shore power pedestal prevents you from overloading your cables.

Check ebay for used RV parts, or is that too low rent for you too?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #85
Bus Nut

Wow. Just got back from Lowe's. Trying to get over the shock of the prices. I looked at the 30A inline plugs and soickets. Damn! A pair was as near as dammit the same as the overpriced RV male socket!

This has me rather cheesed off lol.

Well, today I got four single sockets and single face plates. They're 20A sockets but they'll work with 15A.

I'm still trying to work out how to do the electrics economically.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #86
Bus Nut

Quote:
W. I looked at the 30A inline plugs and soickets. Damn! A pair was as near as dammit the same as the overpriced RV male socket!

I'm still trying to work out how to do the electrics economically.
1) Of course they are, How old are you and how many times in you life have you purchased one of those. Those things for most people are a once maybe twice in a lifetime purchase. Or you use them all the time and they are just a cost of doing business.

2) I think you need to shift your perspective as what economical electrics are. Think of it as plumbing something that can kill you and set everything you own on fire with little or no warning. On top of that you can't see it (unless sparking), you can't taste it or smell it (unless its in the several thousand kV range and creating ozone), you sure as hell can feel it but you don't want to. I feel you should be able to do a top rate shore power install in a bus for less than $1000 Good luck getting electrician to put in a sub panel in a house for that rate.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #87
Bus Nut

I found a 30a receptivlke. It's twidt lock which is what I didn't want. But for $15 you can't say its not a good deal! My alternative would have been two 15A inputs and two 15A sockjets insiude. I found 15a soickjets for $9.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271909878145
Old 09-03-2015, 10:50 PM   #88
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I found a 30a receptivlke. It's twidt lock which is what I didn't want. But for $15 you can't say its not a good deal! . . . .
WOW! You're wiring your bus for 600 volts!
But where will you get the female cord cap to match that beauty? (I have a couple at work, but can't sell them.)

NEMA-standard connectors for every voltage and every current rating have slightly different pins. A four-pin twist-lock for 208 volts, 3 hot phases and a ground with no neutral will have different pins than a four-pin twist lock for 120/240 volts with two hots, a neutral and and ground. This prevents people from plugging cords into the wrong outlet and blowing up equipment with too much or too little voltage.

Of course, if you can find a matching cap for the end of your shoreline, you could make a one-off set-up just for you. It would be safer to have the proper female-male connectors than having a suicide shoreline like Bansil. Just don't mix your equipment with anyone else. Don't let them plug their 600 volt supply cable into your bus.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #89

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 09-03-2015, 11:34 PM   #90
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
But where will you get the female cord cap to match that beauty? (I have a couple at work, but can't sell them.)

NEMA-standard connectors for every voltage and every current rating have slightly different pins. A four-pin twist-lock for 208 volts, 3 hot phases and a ground with no neutral will have different pins than a four-pin twist lock for 120/240 volts with two hots, a neutral and and ground. This prevents people from plugging cords into the wrong outlet and blowing up equipment with too much or too little voltage.

Of course, if you can find a matching cap for the end of your shoreline, you could make a one-off set-up just for you. It would be safer to have the proper female-male connectors than having a suicide shoreline like Bansil. Just don't mix your equipment with anyone else. Don't let them plug their 600 volt supply cable into your bus.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/L14-30-Locki...item35bf436f28

That looks like a likely candidate!

Now, if I'm really clever, I'll wire up two of these. One with a 50a plug on the other end (despite the fact I'm using a 30A cable and 30A breakers). The other will be on a 15a cable with a 15A plug and I'll have to switch out breakers.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:55 PM   #91
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
But where will you get the female cord cap to match that beauty?

What I want to know is where is he, she, it, pickled gherkin, going to plug it in at, and what in the world do you need 600V for? You plan on running an electric crane at a portable steel mill??

= Is what I'm thinking.........
Old 09-04-2015, 02:22 AM   #92
Bus Nut

Seing as they are not being helpful. Those won't work as they are the wrong pin configuration. Those things will not plug in to any hook up a rv park is going to offer, unless you pull up next to the work shop and they won't mind unplugging the mill to let you plug in. We used to use those style connectors all the time in stagecraft.

Let me put it into a colorful analogy to illustrate the absurdity of what you are trying to do. You are trying to turn a glove into a shoe, just buy a shoe, or learn how to make a proper shoe your self.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #93
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
This whole thread is troubling. Go to a local library and get an arm full of books on proper wiring, including an electrical code manual. Do it right. Don't take shortcuts.
If you refuse to do so I won't be personally offended or harmed.. I'm a safe distance away. Someone else may have the misfortune of stumbling across your system, though. Knowing what's going on in that bus, I wouldn't even want them to plug in next to you..
Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #94
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
If you want cheap go with one of these:

Leviton 4937 Weatherproof Inlet on Flush Mount Wallplate with Aluminum Cover, Straight Blade Receptacle, Gray

It's 15A. It's UL certified. It will work with typical extensions cords (no cord hacking). You can use only one of the big appliances at any given time, but it's affordable and approved.

I have no problem with people wiring their own buses and plugs (with the appropriate ends, outlets and wire), but understand the standards. They are very reasonable and are in place for a purpose: to keep people from getting fried!
Old 09-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #95
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Kinda like watching a train wreck. You know it's going to be bad but you just can't look away.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #96
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
Kinda like watching a train wreck. You know it's going to be bad but you just can't look away.
Yup.

This should be a "What not to do" thread.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 09-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #97
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #98
Bus Nut

It's a system that's going to work. Watch an learn!
Old 09-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #99
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Yup, because you know better than every electrician in North America.

Quote:
It's a system that's not going to work. Watch an learn what not to do.
I fixed your quote for you.

Note to all newbies. Do Not Use This Thread for learning.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 09-06-2015, 12:09 AM   #100
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Yup, because you know better than every electrician in North America.

I fixed your quote for you.

NOTE to all newbies. Do Not Use This Thread for learning.

Nat
There I fixed that for you. but yes I do agree. Don't be a tight wad with stuff that can kill you and set all your stuff on fire while you are sleeping. Do it right, do it once!
Closed Thread