Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
*** Shore Power Connector Kits ***

Just wanted to get a group feeling about what type of shore power connector to get from Amazon.

I am looking at 30-50 Amps standard RV plugs. Any suggestions would be great. Now that all bus is gutted I think its a good time to make all the external future connection cuts so that I can seal them from both side properly.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:24 AM   #2
Bus Geek

I like the idea of a simple pass-through port, so the plug-end of your super-heavy duty extension cord sits behind a little water-resistant hatch, one less connection point to worry about.

You can then pull out the length you need. Other end hard-wired to your AC power panel.

Various plug-adapters optional, build up your collection as needed.

For me I'd rig a switch on the hatch door disabling engine start so I don't drive away still hooked up.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
You will first have to decide if you require/want 30 or 50 amp service. Remember that the RV world slang "50 amp" is two 50 amp legs of 120VAC so actually "100 amp service" (arguably). This decision is usually a "need" based decision dictated by something like multiple air conditioning units. Also, deciding to go with "50 amp service" does not mean 30 amp connection cannot be used.

Once that decision is made, I am a big fan of hardwired cord as John previously described. Mine is mounted on a powered reel (https://amzn.to/34FK5wd) which makes stowing very simple (and that can matter if you've ever attempted to hand roll a long, cold, 50 amp cable.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We went with a basic 30A twist-lock inlet from Amazon. It was cheap, simple to install and comes in handy when we need it, which is not often. I don't think we've used it more than a dozen times since we got the solar system all set up. If your layout will allow it and you think you'll be using it frequently, you might want to consider the pass-through cord that John and JD were talking about. Rolling up and stowing the cord can be kind of a hassle.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I agree with all the above and had I the space that is the way I would have gone. As it is with my tiny bus, the plug in and unplug and roll up and put in a pillow case for storage method works fine--probably not so fine if I were camped in the mud. I "Frenched" in a gas filler from a pick up and bolted a male receptacle inside to plug into ( the cord inside goes to the Shore Power receptacle). The original filler was designed to drain outside, a feature I kept and I added a rubber flap to direct rain water away from the plug connection. Nice and dry--I like that with electrical.
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power