Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2021, 04:46 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
the answer is do what ever you want.

yes, use 2 cords

the smoke will compensate for the difference.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:27 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post

yes, use 2 cords

the smoke will compensate for the difference.
Ha. That's a good point, Turf.

This is an open forum. Anyone with ideas on the subject should really chime in. It's a great place to help each other build a safe rig.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #23
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
No. It isn't.

The answer is to find the right thing and do that.

And instead of people admitting they have never done what I'm asking and don't know how or if it will work, they post crap like this.
WiredForStereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:51 PM   #24
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Anyone with ideas on the subject should really chime in.
People with relevant knowledge and experience should chime in.

Not all ideas and opinions are valid or useful.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredForStereo View Post
I literally posted a link to the type of inverter I'm talking about.

Check out other systems at https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/al...-packages.html
Hang on a minute-I specifically asked you questions about your setup. Are you confusing battery power with house power?

I'm confused! Hard to follow this thread!
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:12 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I have a question about using a 240 volt system and shore power.

I've read up on all-in-one solar inverter/chargers, and higher voltage battery banks and 240 volt electrical systems are more efficient, produce higher power, and use smaller wires.

With many of these systems, if you want 240 volts, you just run two of them parallel.

So my question is: What if you're only getting 120 volt shore power, as in most campgrounds and RV hook ups (that I've seen)?

Does it work? Does the system compensate? Does one run two 120 volt shore power plugs?
Okay, I went back to this post, then scrolled down deep to find your link. The system you linked to does NOT provide for shore power, as best as I can tell. It only takes Genset, PV and battery input. Of course, without a spec sheet I'm just reading from the list of features.

The 'Utility Charger' is just a battery charger-no pass-through. You CANNOT connect this system to the grid and use Grid Power.

What a wild ride on this post. Not sure I can do another one like this today!
Old 06-23-2021, 09:15 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
Quote:
Perhaps, I've not yet confirmed that for myself. I've heard claims made for both.
There’s a sweet spot somewhere between efficiency and cost. If you spend a lot, you can get a very efficient system, that therefore *CAN* work on a 120V system. Lower efficiency, higher capacity systems NEED 240V.

Quote:
You do you.
Well duh. You ask for opinions, you get opinions. Some of them may be good, some of them may be garbage. You’re free to think whatever you want about mine. I chose to do 24V, single phase, high frequency inverters, separate components, because reasons.

I didn’t want the all in ones because at that time the options for 24V were limited, the stand-by power consumption was high, and the stability of the firmware of those no-name systems was not established.

PS I googled Growatt manuals, and found this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	58783

Growatt uses the term parallel, even though they are electrically absolutely in series.

Topologically speaking you could make an argument that that are working in tandem, synchronized, and yes, “parallel”… but that makes me cringe.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:25 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Ha. That's why I chose not to try and explain too much. He doesn't even understand the definition of the words in his sentence, but wants a specific answer to a math question that's missing pieces and his formula is not balanced. Like asking a question loaded with lies and expecting a yes or know. (Pun here)
Old 06-23-2021, 09:26 PM   #29
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
What a wild ride on this post. Not sure I can do another one like this today!
They happen to me more often than not. I am a little autistic. I don't think like normal people. So normal people don't know how to answer my questions, because my questions are direct and I have no time to have elementary concepts explained to me by people who don't actually have the answers I'm looking for. And I call it as I see it without sugar coating anything.

Anyway...

I found one I was more familiar with: https://watts247.com/product/2-x-spf-3000tl-lvm-48p/

It ways it will switch to grid power when power fails. "5-in-1 unit. (Not Grid Tied – no feedback, only Grid assist – the load gets switch over to grid when all else fails)"

So I'm wondering, is it a full switch over or does it partially compensate.

Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist. That's certainly a possiblity. In which case, back to the default of a standalone battery charger not incorporated into an inverter.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #30
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert06840 View Post
Growatt uses the term parallel, even though they are electrically absolutely in series.
The Growatt was what I was thinking of when I asked the original question. However, I couldn't remember the name so I linked a similar product.

I'm wondering if the Growatt pair can accept 120V or only 240V if they're linked.

It seems like they just switch to grid power when all else fails. Whereas I want to charge batteries from grid power whilst also harvesting solar, if necessary.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:41 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Edit:
Oops. Thought I was replying to a pm I received. Dang, pops up.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:54 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
It's been 40 years since a young lady has tracked me down to notify me that "she doesn't want to talk to me anymore". Just happened again. Sorry I hurt your feeling, mam.
Haha! Took you this long?

It’s good to be the king!
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:17 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
hahaha - yea, she called me too.

OP,

some inverters have a transfer switch built, others you have to add your own.

most inverters only have a 30A pass thru for a shore connection if its built in.if the ones you post do not have one built in, then you add it.

if you have 2 inverters each with their own 30a connection, then its simple to wire it as a 50a pass thru, the way you imagine

if you imagine something else, then that is simple too.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:46 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Quote:
They happen to me more often than not. I am a little autistic. I don't think like normal people. So normal people don't know how to answer my questions, because my questions are direct and I have no time to have elementary concepts explained to me by people who don't actually have the answers I'm looking for. And I call it as I see it without sugar coating anything.

Anyway...
This is helpful information. You might consider making this your tagline instead to scare people off.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #35
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
This is helpful information. You might consider making this your tagline instead to scare people off.
I thought of that last night, after this episode.

There are two kinds of people, those that understand and compensate, and those that use it as a weapon to beat me with. Naturally, it's something I have often kept hidden, preferring instead to allow people to assume I'm an a-hole.

It's much easier to be an a-hole in this world than it it is to be neuro-atypical.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:36 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Going to avoid some of the back and forth drama, focus on what I see as the OPs actual question...

Quote:
So my question is: What if you're only getting 120 volt shore power, as in most campgrounds and RV hook ups (that I've seen)?

Does it work? Does the system compensate? Does one run two 120 volt shore power plugs?
Many RVs with 50A input (240V split phase) don't actually have any 240V appliances, they just distribute loads over both legs of the 50A service. Therefore, plugging in using 30A service (120V) will work the same- although you still have to keep overall draw within the specs of the service pedestal.

If you want to run 240V appliances however, you will need to provide 240V split phase service from 120V service somehow. Some LF inverters will do that for you, I believe Victron's Autoformer will also do this.

A variant of my inverter takes 120V AC (L1 + N) and will "autoform" L2 from that input giving you 240V split phase output from a 120V source, which will allow you to run your 240V devices off 120V AC. My inverter is wired to take 240V input, and it will autoform N, which has had me scratching my head a bit over how to wire my AC panel (specifically ground/neutral bonding). A happy side effect of this is I'm immune to open neutral failure conditions from the pedestal.

Edit: Attempting to get 240V output from any 120V source should be approached with caution, 50A service exists to provide more power for higher draw devices, you really shouldn't attempt running high draw 240V appliances from any 120V source.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:21 PM   #37
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
A variant of my inverter takes 120V AC (L1 + N) and will "autoform" L2 from that input giving you 240V split phase output from a 120V source, which will allow you to run your 240V devices off 120V AC. My inverter is wired to take 240V input, and it will autoform N, which has had me scratching my head a bit over how to wire my AC panel (specifically ground/neutral bonding). A happy side effect of this is I'm immune to open neutral failure conditions from the pedestal.
Autoform, this is a new term for me.

Is, for instance, the inverter providing one leg of the split phase 240 whilst shore power provides the other, or something like that?
Old 06-24-2021, 09:43 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Quote:

There are two kinds of people, those that understand and compensate, and those that use it as a weapon to beat me with. Naturally, it's something I have often kept hidden, preferring instead to allow people to assume I'm an a-hole.

It's much easier to be an a-hole in this world than it it is to be neuro-atypical.
I've worked with Engineers, so I understand.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:16 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Autoform, this is a new term for me.

Is, for instance, the inverter providing one leg of the split phase 240 whilst shore power provides the other, or something like that?
From what I can understand, the unit takes 120 volts and splits it into 2 legs of 120 and rotates one 180 degrees out of phase. He would then have 240 at half the original amperage less operational loss. This is just a semi educated guess
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:13 AM   #40
Bus Crazy

Quote:

‐‐----------------------------------------
Having a disability or disorder is neither an excuse nor a privilege. You may very well be arguing with folks who suffer from the exact same condition.
We don't ask for special treatment or whip out our disability as a privilege pass to bend the word. Have a little self responsibility. If you have a weakness, you must build strength. We each have our own burdens to carry.