Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Frieghtliner - 40ft overall
Engine: 210hp Mercedes Benz Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 person (originally)
go to websites you find on Google, I like National Bus Co in Tulsa, OK, or even better (and cheaper), BGA Buses in Florida - where I bought my bus. Ask for Greg Sr.

05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05FrieghtlinerThomas View Post
go to websites you find on Google, I like National Bus Co in Tulsa, OK, or even better (and cheaper), BGA Buses in Florida - where I bought my bus. Ask for Greg Sr.
Is this in the right thread?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT-466
12v system

Hi all - newbie here. I've been reading through many of the threads to learn all I can. My wife and I plan on getting our bus next month. Our goal is to go solar, and I've seen a lot of people talk about using a 12v system instead of relying on an inverter. I like that idea, but I've had trouble figuring out how to wire up a full 12v system. I have no background in electrical work, but I can learn things that are explained well. Unfortunately, all my google results end in a lot of jargon. Is there a good resource for learning how to distribute power for a 12v system? I'd be looking at some LED lights, 2 laptops, a phone charger, and maybe a 12v fridge if we found one. I'd also want a separate circuit for the few things that would have to be AC powered.

Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:36 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
that is basically how my bus is set up. I actually just got a 12 volt fridge which will replace needing to use my inverter on a regular basis. Everything behind the driver's seat runs off of 12 volt that gets its power from solar.

The trick is you need to know how much power you use everyday to determine how much you should be able to store and generate. The refrigerator may be your heaviest load.

So you think I use a 12 volt powered laptop charger for my laptop and my girlfriend's laptop charges from USB C. We use DC chargers for all of our USB charging devices and it saves a lot of power compared to doing it through an inverter.

Lately I have been using my inverter to run some power tools while building the bus but that's not something I'll be doing regularly once it's done.