Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Solar panels

Ok I'm interested in solar. Anyone out there have the number crunch sheet on how big (area wise) panels to produce how many watts of power? Also what's available to provide 220 volt system?

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
Ok I'm interested in solar. Anyone out there have the number crunch sheet on how big (area wise) panels to produce how many watts of power? Also what's available to provide 220 volt system?

Maybe... I expect to do 1000-1200 in panels and a 3500w Outback unit inside. That'll do ya for just about anything but air conditioning.
Knight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Also what's available to provide 220 volt system?
Doing some solar welding?

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
220VAC?? If so, that has nothing to do with your solar system. To get 220VAC out of your battery bank, you just need an inverter that produces it.

Question is: Why?

Not saying there isn't a good reason but 220VAC tends to be for very power hungry devices/components and powering those from battery requires a big battery bank.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
These are both AIMS inverter/ charger units rated at 4000Watt/ 12000Watt surge 12v dc(also offered in 24 and 48v models:

120/240 VAC split phase inverter/ charger $1200ish:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AIMS-Powe...4270#read-more

Just 120 VAC inverter/ charger $880ish:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AIMS-Powe...arger/35865240

I too wonder what it is you are powering......... Dats a lot of power. You will need a MASSIVE battery bank and 1/4 acre of solar panels to fill it back up with! Let us know your power needs(what u need to run and how long) and ppl here will give you a better idea of what you will need. This seems like overkill. 12 kilowatts of surge capability is crazy?!
Doug
Old 02-04-2018, 10:54 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rat View Post
Maybe... I expect to do 1000-1200 in panels and a 3500w Outback unit inside. That'll do ya for just about anything but air conditioning.
Quote:

Ok I agree its outrageous but what if I want to fire up my Lincoln 220AC welder and burn some rods? Just wondering how much area to produce how many watts and if they can be series and or parallels as everyone's talking solar but no end user information as in " this many of this size panel will produce a constant x number of volts at this many amps" that way us math geniuses can crunch the numbers.

I do have a 1/4 acre of space though. Might be fun to tell county planning commission and the power co to kiss off.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:04 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Oh the welder is 30 amps at 220 so were talking 6600 wats unless my math is faulty. And if I go off the grid I'd build a battery room with 175 amp hour celled industrial batteries. If it takes ten ill get ten. Just a little more up front if it gets the power bill checked off on my bucket list. Besides county won't let me attach the breaker box on the well house. Wants me to build another building for which they can tax me outrageously. And the power co won't install my power pole they say I have to get an electrical contractor. One said $750 for a temp service which I'd only get for a year. I'm not above putting a huge propane tank down and buying a couple KTA1200 Cummins gen sets then sell power to my ten to 50 nearest neighbors.LoL
Smurf power and light LoL

Old 02-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
Almost There

Quote:

Power density numbers depend on monocrystalline vs. polycrystalline as well as voltage. Monocrystalline is a slightly different structure and gets better efficiency, so it will be smaller for a given amount of power but also more expensive. Higher voltage panels (e.g. 24v as opposed to 12v) generally are smaller for a given amount of power.

Here are a few numbers:
14.3 W / ft^2 for a Renogy 12v, 150W monocrystalline panel
16.0 W / ft^2 for a Renogy 24v, 280W monocrystalline panel
15.3 W / ft^2 for a Renogy 24v, 320W polycrystalline panel

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.com/
ThunderstruckStudios is offline   Reply With Quote