Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT-466
Solar Panels and Lightning

Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone has any advice about having solar panels on my roof in a lightning storm...?

We got all our electrical up and running a month or so ago, and everything is going great. Mostly 12v loads, but I have an inverter with the fridge plugged into it. I've got solar on the roof, wired through a breaker to the charge controller, to the batteries... Last night we had a big storm roll through, and the thunder that woke me up in the middle of the night got me thinking... what if lightning strikes my solar panels? Wouldn't it completely fry all of my electronics (not to mention maybe start a fire)? Is there something I can do about that? A brief google search shows that on a house, you simply ground it with a copper wire. But grounding to the ground is hard to do in a bus... Is there another way to protect myself and my investment?

Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:16 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone has any advice about having solar panels on my roof in a lightning storm...?

We got all our electrical up and running a month or so ago, and everything is going great. Mostly 12v loads, but I have an inverter with the fridge plugged into it. I've got solar on the roof, wired through a breaker to the charge controller, to the batteries... Last night we had a big storm roll through, and the thunder that woke me up in the middle of the night got me thinking... what if lightning strikes my solar panels? Wouldn't it completely fry all of my electronics (not to mention maybe start a fire)? Is there something I can do about that? A brief google search shows that on a house, you simply ground it with a copper wire. But grounding to the ground is hard to do in a bus... Is there another way to protect myself and my investment?
https://www.solar-electric.com/midni...protector.html

I used this
Old 02-28-2019, 11:46 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
You could use a ground... just stake it in the dirt when you make camp.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, grounding, lightning, solar, solar panels