Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2024, 04:05 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoasty View Post
Only caveat being the front/end clamps come with an bottom insert that didn't work for my application, so I needed more of the uni/superstrut insert from the middle clamps. You can buy extras from Lowes/Home Depot/Menards.
I received the end clamps but not the middle clamps. It sounds like you are saying the middle clamps will slide into the superstrut. The end clamps won't as that piece is wrong.

Do you recall what those pieces are at lowe's or amazon, etc? I just need to find them to order them.

heimlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 08:58 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Ask a hundred busnuts how they attached solar panels, and you'll get a hundred wildly different answers, and if you're lucky some of them will be sensible! FWIW I drilled through each roof rib and inserted 3/8" stainless socket-head cap screws up from underneath, with stainless NyLok nuts on top to hold everything securely. When I insulate and cover my ceiling all the holes in it will be covered.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:00 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Ask a hundred busnuts how they attached solar panels, and you'll get a hundred wildly different answers, and if you're lucky some of them will be sensible! FWIW I drilled through each roof rib and inserted 3/8" stainless socket-head cap screws up from underneath, with stainless NyLok nuts on top to hold everything securely. When I insulate and cover my ceiling all the holes in it will be covered.

John
I'm certainly going to come up with my own solution as well. But i'll be documenting it with in depth pictures and instructions.
nikitis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:17 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Safe-T-Liner
Engine: Cummins 24V
I used this rack from Amazon, I liked it because i angled the brackets to match the curvature of the roof, I did not use the screws they provide, I used SS bolts in to the hat channel flanges. https://amzn.to/3QzULag
Gareth Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:23 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Turbo Diesel
3M tape

I used two sided tape on L-brackets. 3-M tape. I had AM Solar in Oregon design. When I saw that it was just what I called sticky tape I was pretty leery but they said it holds.
On the bottom edge where the roof curves a lot I added one screw to each bracket in addition.
The first few trips I kept stopping and checking as I couldnít believe it could handle the winds and side winds across Wyoming but all good.
Three years and lots of miles no problems.
Let me know if you want a pic.
Cheers!
J
Golden_Otto_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 02:16 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Otto_Bus View Post
I used two sided tape on L-brackets. 3-M tape. I had AM Solar in Oregon design. When I saw that it was just what I called sticky tape I was pretty leery but they said it holds.
On the bottom edge where the roof curves a lot I added one screw to each bracket in addition.
The first few trips I kept stopping and checking as I couldn’t believe it could handle the winds and side winds across Wyoming but all good.
Three years and lots of miles no problems.
Let me know if you want a pic.
Cheers!
J
VHB tape (or whatever you used) is only as secure as the paint it's stuck onto.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:29 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Be careful with relying on the cheaper hardware (bolts, etc) If they originated in China, you might have bought what you thought was Grade 8 but, for some builders, they could end up being Grade 3. Check out Chuck Cassadyís YouTube video about the trailer that snapped off his hitch. He can steer you to a better brand if you need it. Good luck with your solar.
tguy1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:07 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimlich View Post
I found these U bolts to go over the ribs of the inside of the bus. They have a mounting plate on them too. So that will help with putting a layer of seam sealer and butyl.

https://www.mcmaster.com/2936T72/

I tried these u bolts. They went in nicely but weren't long enough. The longer ones are too wide on mcmastercarr.

Where else might I get some ubolts that will fit around the ribs of the roof?
heimlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:12 PM   #29

Solar roof mount

If you can only fit 5 panels increase the power of the panel and just use four panels. They now have panels up to 600 watts.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote