Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2023, 11:42 AM   #1

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas 1218S
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Solar System questions

So I purchased a kit. Its a 6500W 48V SOLAR CHARGE INVERTER PARALLEL + WIFI MONITOR UL1741 with a 390VDC max and 8 450W mono panels that have 41.72v VOC. If I understand this correctly that means that I can wire them all in series correct? If I can should I? Or should I wire them in 2 parallel series? What are the pros and cons of either?

I am trying to plan out the wiring of the panels to the MPPT/Inverter and what gauge I should be using. All the panels will be on iron ridge xr1000 racks on my 33ft bus and will enter through a flange directly over the utility closet which will have the 2 rack mounted Lithium ion battery banks that came with the system.

If you have any inputs or thoughts I would love to hear it and also let me know if any other info would be needed. Thanks!

RagingGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 12:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Here are some useful links to help you answer your own questions:

https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stand...detail?code=70

https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stand...tail?code=1192

https://maritime.org/doc/#neets

EDIT: The two NFPA documents can be accessed for free. See the 'free access' button on the pages linked.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 05:09 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
If you put them all in a single series then an issue with any one panel of circuit will take down your entire PV array.
Wiring in two series, through two charge controllers would split your system so that a failure in one series would only affect 1/2 your PV array and leave you perhaps "crippled" power wise but not "dead in the water".

When you mention rack mounted lithium batteries I'm thinking your system is Signature Solar. I have those batteries and the EG 6.5 inverter and 10 panels at 290W ea.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 05:49 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I was, at one point, in charge of four rooftop systems for a grocery store chain. We had 10 panels per string, series wired, for 480 volts for grid tie through an inverter. I've been an electrician for over 40 years and, by far, the worst shock I've ever experienced was from DC. It was overcast and only around 360v at the time but...wow
Be careful
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 10:58 AM   #5

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas 1218S
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
That is a valid point but I will stick with the single MPPT controller for now. I also think I will be running it in series for wiring simplicity and no need for fuses on the panel wiring. From my research that will just mean I need to worry for partial shading and be cognizant of panels with bad cells. I also may use a 2s4p setup to give my system a little more fault tolerance and partial shading tolerance but that will require fuses on the positive wires.
RagingGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 12:39 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingGumby View Post
That is a valid point but I will stick with the single MPPT controller for now. I also think I will be running it in series for wiring simplicity and no need for fuses on the panel wiring. From my research that will just mean I need to worry for partial shading and be cognizant of panels with bad cells. I also may use a 2s4p setup to give my system a little more fault tolerance and partial shading tolerance but that will require fuses on the positive wires.

Can you explain what you mean by the part in bold?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote