Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 10:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: International CE
Chassis: CE
Engine: 7.6
Rated Cap: 26 seats
someone willing to edumakate me? trickleing - parallel etc

Ok so I'm hoping the electri-literate will throw me a bone here. My 2009 Int is a 12 volt - right? I mean it has 3 batteries, wired positive to positive, neg to neg - so parallel - right? and 12c volt - correct (I told ya i don't know much about this magic electricity stuff) .

So I am thinking i probably ought to throw a trickle charger on there to keep em topped up. i have a couple of those "Battery tender " 12 volt systems, I use em for the tractor, lawnmower, truck etc. can it be as simple as running neg cable to neg terminal on the "back" battery, and pos to pos on the front battery in the set?

slowstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:16 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowstepper View Post
Ok so I'm hoping the electri-literate will throw me a bone here. My 2009 Int is a 12 volt - right? I mean it has 3 batteries, wired positive to positive, neg to neg - so parallel - right? and 12c volt - correct (I told ya i don't know much about this magic electricity stuff) .

So I am thinking i probably ought to throw a trickle charger on there to keep em topped up. i have a couple of those "Battery tender " 12 volt systems, I use em for the tractor, lawnmower, truck etc. can it be as simple as running neg cable to neg terminal on the "back" battery, and pos to pos on the front battery in the set?
You obviously have done a little homework. That's a good thing. Keep watching YouTube and reading, you'll get it.

This is a good resource for your current question.

https://www.batterytender.com/connec...eries-parallel
Old 06-19-2021, 11:31 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Yes.

But "trickle charger" can mean dumb, too dumb.

Low amps is fine if you're not charging, just countering self discharge keeping a Starter batt topped up at Float (lower) voltage. A cheap little solar panel with built in controller can do this off grid

But if there is any cycling going on, you want a proper 3-stage smart charger.

If deep cycling (not just Starter duties), then you want more amps.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote