Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Sourcing Replacement Circuit Breaker Fuse

I have a 2000 International AmTran RE t444e and I'm having some ignition/turn over issues on both my front dash ignition and also my rear panel box ignition... batteries and starter are good but I've found 5 circuit breakers (resetable type) that are reading faulty on multimeter. Talked to parts at local International dealer and he was saying new replacements could be as much as $50... vs. $7 pre-owned on ebay.

? is how to make sure I'm sourcing correct replacement... will the non-resetable from O'reillys work? what about plastic covered from attached picture? whats difference between type 1,2, or 3?
Attached Thumbnails
9k=.jpg  
Attached Images

DiddBiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Non resettable are fine as long as you carry spares! They are definitely easy to find in a pinch.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:26 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
Non resettable are fine as long as you carry spares! They are definitely easy to find in a pinch.

good deal. Are the resettable type with the button the same as just like flipping the circuit breakers on a normal household panel that have been tripped?
Old 07-08-2022, 01:36 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddBiddy View Post
I have a 2000 International AmTran RE t444e and I'm having some ignition/turn over issues on both my front dash ignition and also my rear panel box ignition... batteries and starter are good but I've found 5 circuit breakers (resetable type) that are reading faulty on multimeter. Talked to parts at local International dealer and he was saying new replacements could be as much as $50... vs. $7 pre-owned on ebay.

? is how to make sure I'm sourcing correct replacement... will the non-resetable from O'reillys work? what about plastic covered from attached picture? whats difference between type 1,2, or 3?

$50 would be a ridiculous price..... Go to the local Autozone, OReiley's, NAPA, etc and price them at each location. Then go on Amazon and price them. Shouldn't be more than $10 each.

DO NOT GET AUTOMATIC RESET unless you are replacing an automatic reset in a critical system.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 01:41 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
DO NOT GET AUTOMATIC RESET unless you are replacing an automatic reset in a critical system.

10/4. thanks Ham
Old 07-09-2022, 08:56 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
you can substitute a fuse also. if you use the metal self resetable be careful if you pull it as it gets hot. look on ebay or amazon as you can find the manually resealable there lots cheaper.
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 08:59 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

the use of the manually reset circuit breakers is to bring it to your attention that something happened. a self reset one has caused fires in fuse boxes
Old 07-09-2022, 06:21 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
the use of the manually reset circuit breakers is to bring it to your attention that something happened. a self reset one has caused fires in fuse boxes

^^^^^^

THE reason to avoid auto reset except in critical (safety) applications in which an engineer may have called for one.

The ONLY time I've ever had a use for an auto reset circuit breaker was in making trouble shooting jumper wires and we always used one below the OEM installation. Sometimes useful for tracing a troublesome short. Using a lower value auto reset meant that the OEM wiring is relatively safe, we won't start a fire, and we can keep trouble shooting as the CB cycles.

I really can't think of a reason to have one installed permanently in an OEM circuit.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 07-09-2022, 06:40 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
The ONLY time I've ever had a use for an auto reset circuit breaker was in making trouble shooting jumper wires and we always used one below the OEM installation. Sometimes useful for tracing a troublesome short. Using a lower value auto reset meant that the OEM wiring is relatively safe, we won't start a fire, and we can keep trouble shooting as the CB cycles.

That's a useful tip right there for the future thanks man
Old 07-09-2022, 06:42 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
That's a useful tip right there for the future thanks man

Well it's not much good for a direct short since the CB resets and immediately blows so you might get a flash of light on a test light. But it can be very helpful on a system that has something wrong and keeps blowing fuses or breakers.

It's just one of those tricks you have in your back pocket for that ONE TIME that it's just what's needed.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:53 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
whats difference between type 1,2, or 3?

Type 1 (automatic), type II (manual), and type III (push-to-trip). These types can overlap somewhat depending on the design of the breaker. But typically speaking from what I found type III circuit breakers or "switchable" are often used with higher-current applications such as starter motors, pumps, winches, and plows.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:45 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Well it's not much good for a direct short since the CB resets and immediately blows so you might get a flash of light on a test light. But it can be very helpful on a system that has something wrong and keeps blowing fuses or breakers.

It's just one of those tricks you have in your back pocket for that ONE TIME that it's just what's needed.
I used a Gm ignition resistor in series with a fuse to replace the breaker or fuse while I was diagnosing direct shorts . I also incorporated a buzzer at times in that circuit so when it quit buzzing I was close as I wiggled harnesses
Old 07-10-2022, 02:18 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
I used a Gm ignition resistor in series with a fuse to replace the breaker or fuse while I was diagnosing direct shorts . I also incorporated a buzzer at times in that circuit so when it quit buzzing I was close as I wiggled harnesses

Kind of like skinning cats. All kinds of ways to get the job done.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:52 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I use a mix of self reset and manual resets in mine.. I like self resets for certain lighting circuits as sometimes its rain or a large bump that obviously can trigger something.. something that you are grappling with finding but I dont want the lights to stay out...

also in IH.. find the Long-Blade type.. the blades on the first one pictured are way short and will make very poor contact in an IH style fusebox.
the second style pictured should reach down into the fuse box and make good contact...

more fires are caused by poorly-contacting devices that Arc than breakers which reset themselves..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:04 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
more fires are caused by poorly-contacting devices that Arc than breakers which reset themselves..

I believe that's true. However, we're talking the skoolie community here....you know, the group that contains a lot of people with a dream but few skills and little knowledge. The very people that, if the 15amp fuse keeps blowing lets put in a 25 and if that keeps blowing lets put in a 25 auto reset.....

Now we're in experimental fire starter development mode.

Just sayin...... Remember, Lone Star Skoolies. There are some death traps out there.