Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Starter Interlock Door Lock

Can anyone here, help me understand this? I think the switch is going bad, it's a small barrel type lock located on the bottom of my side emergency door, with barrel lock closed locked, the bus will not start, with the barrel lock open(unlocked) pushing on the switch it will start just fine. This has northing to do with the normal door leaver that when you open triggers the buzzer.

Can anyone explain to me how that system works and what wire I need to ground out, I am thinking it's yellow but I don't think that will work, and don't want to let out the magic smoke out of anything THANKS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vandal Switch .pdf (1.00 MB, 13 views)

bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
Can anyone here, help me understand this? I think the switch is going bad, it's a small barrel type lock located on the bottom of my side emergency door, with barrel lock closed locked, the bus will not start, with the barrel lock open(unlocked) pushing on the switch it will start just fine. This has northing to do with the normal door leaver that when you open triggers the buzzer.

Can anyone explain to me how that system works and what wire I need to ground out, I am thinking it's yellow but I don't think that will work, and don't want to let out the magic smoke out of anything THANKS
You currently just have a single wire connecting to the barrel lock, correct? That's the wire you need to ground (this wire is pink in my bus, FWIW).
Old 09-01-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
The emergency exits must be unlocked while driving. That interlock switch prevents you from starting the bus if the emergency exits are locked.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
The emergency exits must be unlocked while driving. That interlock switch prevents you from starting the bus if the emergency exits are locked.
Ah, I thought OP was trying to delete it.

I have to take mine apart and figure out how to reverse its operation (i.e. preventing startup when it's unlocked). I'm putting in a cat door and I want to use the barrel lock to make sure I remember to lock it if I drive anywhere.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I have three wires two pink and one yellow. But I want the door locked all the time won’t remember to put that lock back and the switch I think is failing
Old 09-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
I have three wires two pink and one yellow. But I want the door locked all the time won’t remember to put that lock back
So you want to keep the physical lock but delete its participation in the starter interlock. One of the pink wires is what you want to ground out. One goes to your rear barrel lock and the other connects to the barrel lock on the side door (if you have one). If you're trying to achieve this at the rear door, you should be able to unscrew the lock cover and find the correct pink wire right there, then clip it and ground the end leading back to the front.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Yup correct, I don’t have a rear exit. I tired both red wires no luck, I grounded the yellow wire and it fired right up no buzzer. But I still don’t understand the logic of how the system works
Old 09-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Can anyone tell me why grounding the yellow wire makes it run, I am trying to understand the wireing and how it works
Old 09-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Can anyone tell me why grounding the yellow wire makes it run, I am trying to understand the wireing and how it works
Some work to open the switch, some when closed. Apparantly that one needs to be grounded to shut it off. Some if you remove all the wires solves the issue.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote