Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2020, 09:27 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
Starting and driving with house deep cycle batteries

I've been working on connecting my starting batteries to my house deep cycle batteries with a solenoid so I can charge when driving, however I got a little frustrated with it today and pulled my bus battery cables from the starting batteries and put them on my deep cycle battery bank. Now I just want to forget the starting batteries all together and keep everything going off the deep cycle battery bank. I've started the engine twice today and it had no problem starting at all. I have 6 golf cart 6v batteries making one 12 volt unit.

Other than the possibility of killing the batteries and not having power to start, is there any real problems or concerns with doing this? Again, the bus starts just fine and I have a generator if I ever accidentally kill the batteries.

Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:41 AM   #2
Bus Geek

No with a big enough bank even higher resistance deep cycling batteries put out way more amps than even the biggest diesel requires.

The problem as you say, is the whole point of buying true deep cycling type is that they can be run down to 50% SoC, sometimes even a bit lower (not great for them)

and that could leave you stranded.

A starter batt and isolator / solenoid is so cheap I don't see any reason not to have at least one, dedicated to your peace of mind.

At least carry a pocket LI jumpstarter and keep that topped up.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:47 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
why did you have to pull the cables? did the solenoid die?

I charge my deep cycle AGM batteries with my bus charging system while driving and havent had any isues doing it..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Deep cycle batteries aren't designed to be recharged rapidly like start batteries. While I do use the alternator to charge my deep cycles it is via a battery to battery charger which provides the proper multi stage charge best suited for deep cycle batteries. My choice was the Sterling Power BB1230.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
A little background: I decided to relocate my deep cycle batteries inside under the raised interior floor by the rear wheel well where I have the 120 volt exterior plug. The alternator charging connection with solenoid was going to be part of my project but now having enough room for everything is the issue.

The main problem was there’s no new place to put my exterior 120 volt plug since the hole I had it in will now be for my battery vent. Between my water hook ups and interior floor plan I just couldn’t put the 120 plug anywhere that wouldn’t get soaked by the rear tire or dripping hose connections etc...

By removing the starter batteries I can put my plug inside the empty battery box and it’s also a handy place to store my electrical cords and connectors all together.

It seems like a good solution - I might just try it out this summer and see how it goes.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote