Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #1

Stop Sign wiring to 110

New Member here. I'm retired educator and have a collection of school bus license plates (48 of the states and DC) and misc 'stuff'. I have a stop sign and want it to operate on 110. Have others done this? I searched on this forum and didn't see any. I would like it to wig-wag but only flash wold be ok. I'm assuming an inverter wold be necessary but how to flash or wig-wag would be nice! Thanks!!

XYZREF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
An AC-DC transformer would be necessary, no more than 12.5-13.5V / 3000-5000 mA (3-5A)... Any thermal or electronic flasher from a parts store or salvage yard vehicle should do. I would recommend swapping bulbs for LED versions, as they will not require as much current (hence brighter with less current) and work better with lower-output transformers.

You might also consider integrating a small rechargeable 12-14V battery like those used in power tools, RC cars and the like into the power feed. This will act as a buffer so the AC adapter is simply charging the battery, not bearing the full load.

Wiring is easy. It's all 12V (+) and ground (-). Best part is, for this application, aside from the flasher and any battery buffer, polarity is irrelevant as long as you don't have a 12V and ground crossed. Light bulbs generally work just fine regardless of polarity.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
An AC-DC transformer would be necessary, no more than 12.5-13.5V / 3000-5000 mA (3-5A)... Any thermal or electronic flasher from a parts store or salvage yard vehicle should do. I would recommend swapping bulbs for LED versions, as they will not require as much current (hence brighter with less current) and work better with lower-output transformers.

You might also consider integrating a small rechargeable 12-14V battery like those used in power tools, RC cars and the like into the power feed. This will act as a buffer so the AC adapter is simply charging the battery, not bearing the full load.

Wiring is easy. It's all 12V (+) and ground (-). Best part is, for this application, aside from the flasher and any battery buffer, polarity is irrelevant as long as you don't have a 12V and ground crossed. Light bulbs generally work just fine regardless of polarity.
I have to admit that I was filling you for a bit.... I understand the flasher has to disrupt the flow of electricity to create the flash. I googled the flasher and also found this base: https://www.amazon.com/Golf-Prong-Si...192169&sr=8-30 Is this what I need along with the actual flasher and the transformer? Thanks!!
Old 02-24-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Try something like this. It's safe, enclosed and has a power cord.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Com.../dp/B0002JTD2K

If you switch to LED lights you'll need a flasher that's rated for LED
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
Try something like this. It's safe, enclosed and has a power cord.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Com.../dp/B0002JTD2K

If you switch to LED lights you'll need a flasher that's rated for LED
This is a nice simple power supply.... any way to integrate the flasher? Thanks!
Old 02-24-2021, 07:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZREF View Post
This is a nice simple power supply.... any way to integrate the flasher? Thanks!

Like this??

https://www.amazon.com/FastWagger-Al...87978490&psc=1
Old 02-24-2021, 08:02 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Take your positive from the power supply and run it through 2, in line, fuse holders. One goes through the flasher for the lights and the other would be constant. I'm not familiar with the 'wig-wag' mechanism. Try 2 amp fuses to protect your power supply if you accidentally short something
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote