Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2022, 04:05 PM   #1

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 29,000
Stranded vernal, ut

Hello all!

I'm currently boondocking near vernal UT, after getting to camp last night i shut the bus down. A short time later I flipped the key into the auxiliary power position and initially everything powered up as normal, but a split second later everything lost power and I haven't been able to get anything on the chassis side of things to work since.

2004 international 3800
T444e
Alison 2000 series
Wiring diagram 0047MTY (according to my line set, but if anyone has a copy of this diagram it would be much appreciated.)

What I've done so far
Tested bus batteries: 12.9 bolts
Checked ignition relays: both seem to be functioning correctly. I bought a spare just in case and swapped it in but nothing.
Checked every fuse I can find.

Any help trouble shooting or recommendations for a good shop in the area would be MUCH appreciated.

Truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:48 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman View Post
Hello all!

I'm currently boondocking near vernal UT, after getting to camp last night i shut the bus down. A short time later I flipped the key into the auxiliary power position and initially everything powered up as normal, but a split second later everything lost power and I haven't been able to get anything on the chassis side of things to work since.

2004 international 3800
T444e
Alison 2000 series
Wiring diagram 0047MTY (according to my line set, but if anyone has a copy of this diagram it would be much appreciated.)

What I've done so far
Checked ignition relays: both seem to be functioning correctly. I bought a spare just in case and swapped it in but nothing.

Any help trouble shooting or recommendations for a good shop in the area would be MUCH appreciated.
This thread has a link to a service manual which migh be helpful. It’s an old thread from 2016 but the pdf might still be available for download.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/9...pdf-15425.html

Let me know if you can download it. I’m on a borrowed iPad and when I tried to download I got a message that it was to large to scan for viruses so I didn’t download.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:14 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
I'm assuming that you actually checked the ignition switch as well?
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
I'm assuming that you actually checked the ignition switch as well?
Fair question, I just checked it! I checked the switch for continuity (I think this was the right thing to do?) And it seemed like the switch was bad. Into town checked two parts stores and two hours later made it back with a new ignition. Turns out the lead in my multi meter broke and that's why I didn't have continuity. New switch didn't fix anything.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
This thread has a link to a service manual which migh be helpful. It’s an old thread from 2016 but the pdf might still be available for download.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/9...pdf-15425.html

Let me know if you can download it. I’m on a borrowed iPad and when I tried to download I got a message that it was to large to scan for viruses so I didn’t download.
Thank you for sharing! I wasn't able to get anything from the OP but I am finding some of the other guides posted in the thread useful.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:19 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
New switch didn't fix anything.
The fact that everything is shutting down is the weird part. To me, that signals something very early on in the circuit and close to the key switch; my mind goes towards the actual key lock cylinder, or to the ignition switch itself, if they're not the same thing.

On the offchance that your rig has some kind of anti-theft circuit in the computer as well, that could be something to try and figure out.

Power to the relays, maybe as well--not just the relays themselves, but make sure that all the circuits are making contact and all the wires have continuity.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:58 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 29600
Check to make sure BOTH start batteries have good voltage, are cleanly and properly connected and (if you have them) the small power and ground leads are good also check their inline fuses. Next check for full battery voltage at the main battery post on the starter. I had a battery connection go bad (not sure how) while driving and caused all sorts of weird stuff to happen.
PoppaSmurff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:59 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom 40'
Engine: DDECII 6V92T Allison MT647
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs of potential
How are you making out with this Truman?
Isn't electrical troubleshooting fun?
You say you tested/swapped the ignition relays - did you test the auxiliary relay as well? Do you have good voltage feeding the AUX relay? You need both the feed to the relay and the signal to the relay in order for the relay to transfer power to your auxiliary circuits.

Rich
Phantom5824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:09 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Transmission Neutral switch? Mine went out after driving 6 hrs. Since its inside the trans i just bypassed it. Plus some busses have a swith lock out if a rear door is open.
Good luck
Cheers
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:23 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Quote:
Hello all!

2004 international 3800
T444e
Alison 2000 series

What I've done so far

So I know I’m getting to this thread late and hopefully you have solved your problem by now.

If you still need help, PM me. I have a GOOD friend who lives in Vernal. He’s been there a long time and knows everything and everybody. He is interested in busses after seeing mine!

We were just through there in early October of last year. It’s kinda off the beaten track huh? We saw the first snowfall, so it was time for this southern boy to get outta Dodge.

Let me know.
☮️Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:21 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Quote:
...the lead in my multi meter...didn't have continuity...
I grew-up on a farm, my four grandparents lived next door.
I learned to verify operation of a multi-meter by crossing the leads.
* Does the meter needle indicate 'zero'?
If not, how about replacing the internal battery, then verifying the needle to 'zero' again.
Fortunately, sometimes, a second multi-meter can help.
Sadly, sometimes, a second multi-meter can crash as well.
I may have some experience with that...
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, stranded, vernal