Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Me
Engine: Series 60
Suggestions for power system?

Hello,

So I would like suggestions on creating either a solar powered or generator powered electrical system that can power an A/C system as well as a desktop and TV screen. I am on a budget so please be cost friendly with the suggestions! Thanks

the7exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:06 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
The cheapest way to get started is to buy a used 3000w or thereabouts generator. The TV and the computer don’t use anything compared to the A/C. For, say, $300 you’re in business, but it’ll not be quiet and it is not cheap to run.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:12 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Me
Engine: Series 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert06840 View Post
The cheapest way to get started is to buy a used 3000w or thereabouts generator. The TV and the computer don’t use anything compared to the A/C. For, say, $300 you’re in business, but it’ll not be quiet and it is not cheap to run.
I was thinking of hooking up a battery system to my generator so that when I'm driving it'll at least charge them to the point where I can use it for like 24 hrs or something, but I guess solar is the way to go.
the7exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:33 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Cummins 8.3
The main conflict there is that a solar system capable of powering an AC for 24 hours is not going to be a budget friendly option.

I'm in a bit of a rush out the door, but I'll try to come back and break it down or find a link to someone who has already broken it down. The long story short is that it will take a giant system to run an AC. If your AC uses 1500 watts/hour (1.5kwh), and you have to run it for 10 hours a day, then you are looking at 15kwh to run it. My 15kwh LiFePO4 battery bank cost about 3k, with $1500 in inverters, and will need about $4000 in solar panels to keep charged. Then there are thousands of dollars in mounts/wires/fuses, etc. It's not a cheap option.

The only budget friendly option is running a cheap generator. And that gets expensive in the long run because fuel isn't budget friendly. AC's run on battery banks will cost you a lot up front. But once you spend the money and get a good system set up, it can run for years and years with minimal extra inputs cost-wise.

Sorry, I need to run.
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
Bus Geek

If you are on a budget, under say ten grand

do not even think about aircon running off stored energy.

A small quiet inverter like Honda EU2200i directly powering the aircon

might have a little leftover power to recharge you cheap House bank (lead GCs).

Then as you add more and more solar, sometimes you can power the aircon direct off the panels, but better to park in the shade.

eventually as you get bigger banks, might be able to reduce genny runtime a bit.

Really best solution is "follow the 60's"

whole point of being mobile IMO
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:11 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I think you might want to consider the need for A/C. Last weekend it was 92 degrees F here, and I had no need to switch on the A/C. I had a nice breeze going of course. Humidity was in the forties I think.

Powering A/C is very very expensive, power wise. Like many thousands of dollars. As in more expensive than the vehicle.

If you are in Nevada or Florida maybe this is not a discussion point, but here up in the northeast, it is a question worth asking. Because if you can get rid of A/C, your power requirements may literally drop by a factor ten.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:21 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Anyway, I must add that we prefer things rather toasty, so our (non-bus) house is set to 78-79F year round. We don’t see the need for Arctic A/C, but I can assure you we take hearing pretty seriously.

If you like to see your thermostat pegged at 66, you may choose things differently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9461.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	483.1 KB
ID:	57912
Old 05-28-2021, 11:35 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
If you are on a budget, under say ten grand

do not even think about aircon running off stored energy.

A small quiet inverter like Honda EU2200i directly powering the aircon

might have a little leftover power to recharge you cheap House bank (lead GCs).

Then as you add more and more solar, sometimes you can power the aircon direct off the panels, but better to park in the shade.

eventually as you get bigger banks, might be able to reduce genny runtime a bit.

Really best solution is "follow the 60's"

whole point of being mobile IMO
This is good advice if you plan on AC
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote