Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Sunpower Solar Panels in the South West CHEAP!

Our solar system is made up of all Sunpower panels. Some we bought used from a craigslist seller in Albuquerque, New Mexico. 327W panels for 140.00 each. The panels were New Old Stock and had no blemishes and perform as rated.
He still has plenty. Marc: (505) 712-5707 You can text or call.

The rest we got from https://www.surplussolaroutlet.com (Phoenix Arizona) new Sunpower 327W panels for .30/Watt Came out to less than 100.00/ per panel. Awesome. They had higher rated panels for the same price but I wanted to match the panels I already have. Not really necessary because I have the 12 panels broken up into 3 banks of four. Each bank is on it's own controller.

If you are in the area or are willing to travel, I haven't seen better deals on New panels. Our system works great producing as much as 3800W depending on load and battery state. Our current power demands are about 1.5KWh and the panels keep up with it and keep the batteries topped even on 100% Overcast New Mexico days.

Our current system: (mounted flat on the roof)

12 Sunpower 327W panels in 4 banks.
Bank one: Parallel VOC 60VDC
MakeSkyBlue 60A Controller
Bank two: Parallel VOC 60VDC
Bank Three: 2S2P VOC 120VDC

The front bank number three, is in a series parallel configuration because the wire run from this bank to the controller is nearly 40 feet, while the runs from bank one and two are just 15 and 20 feet.

Batteries: We just upgraded to LiFeP04 BYD batteries from batteryclearinghouse ebay seller. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-matched-B...kAAOSwUMpeIfnO

We have four of the BYD 24V 5KW 220Ah battery banks in parallel for a rated 880 Ah. We have not done a measured load test, however our needs are being met and we never have to connect to shore power or generator even when it rains or is cloudy all day. ( this happens often July- August Monsoon)

So we have about 1550.00 in solar panels
300.00 in controllers

2000.00 in batteries

250. in wire

200.00 Breakers panels and boxes

300.00 in mounting hardware and materials

Total system cost to be free from the grid and Mobile = $4350.00 Optimistically puts our Electrical power cost at about 18.00 per month over 20 years.

Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #2
Bus Geek

That's the best way to get good deals, close enough to pick them up.

Not just ordering online. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:20 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I'm impressed! You have more power than my system, a lot more, and I'm happy to hear it's performing well for you even in marginal conditions. I have only 2040W (which even then is a lot more than most buses' and RVs' PV systems), and like you I've split my system into entirely separate sub-systems. Each of the two arrays is four Sharp 255W made-in-USA panels that can be raised to 21, 33 or 45 degrees up or stowed down against the roof for travel, and each array feeds its own Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 charge controller that in turn feeds its own battery bank of four GC-2 batteries. Each battery bank is electrically isolated from the other by 250A Schottky diodes to prevent one bank backfeeding into the other, but both banks' outputs are combined after the diodes to power the main DC busbar and Magnum inverter. I've just bought a 12K minisplit A/C with heat pump, another project in the making, and it should happily run off the panels on even low-light winter days. I paid more for my panels, but I did buy them some years ago when PV prices were much higher, so I have about the same money overall in the entire system as you spent for yours. I also keep the two start batteries constantly charged by two Ultra Trik-L-Start maintainers that run off the house batteries. So far I'm very happy with my system, and I hope to never need my emergencies-only 3500W generator even in winter.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Following....
I'm ready to start my Solar and your post has already helped!
Old 08-01-2020, 06:12 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas 4-Window
Chassis: 2003 Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 6
Sweet find and thanks for the tip!
FatBoySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:07 AM   #6

Year: 2016
Chassis: Marty
Excellent commentary, on all aspects regarding solar installation!
lipovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #7

Year: 2016
Chassis: Marty
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipovsky View Post
Excellent commentary, on all aspects regarding solar installation like in this review https://websolarguide.com/am-solar-fence-charger/!
Seems useful.
lipovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:04 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
Our solar system is made up of all Sunpower panels. Some we bought used from a craigslist seller in Albuquerque, New Mexico. 327W panels for 140.00 each. The panels were New Old Stock and had no blemishes and perform as rated.
He still has plenty. Marc: (505) 712-5707 You can text or call.

The rest we got from https://www.surplussolaroutlet.com (Phoenix Arizona) new Sunpower 327W panels for .30/Watt Came out to less than 100.00/ per panel. Awesome. They had higher rated panels for the same price but I wanted to match the panels I already have. Not really necessary because I have the 12 panels broken up into 3 banks of four. Each bank is on it's own controller.

If you are in the area or are willing to travel, I haven't seen better deals on New panels. Our system works great producing as much as 3800W depending on load and battery state. Our current power demands are about 1.5KWh and the panels keep up with it and keep the batteries topped even on 100% Overcast New Mexico days.

Our current system: (mounted flat on the roof)

12 Sunpower 327W panels in 4 banks.
Bank one: Parallel VOC 60VDC
Bank two: Parallel VOC 60VDC
Bank Three: 2S2P VOC 120VDC

The front bank number three, is in a series parallel configuration because the wire run from this bank to the controller is nearly 40 feet, while the runs from bank one and two are just 15 and 20 feet.

Batteries: We just upgraded to LiFeP04 BYD batteries from batteryclearinghouse ebay seller. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-matched-B...kAAOSwUMpeIfnO

We have four of the BYD 24V 5KW 220Ah battery banks in parallel for a rated 880 Ah. We have not done a measured load test, however our needs are being met and we never have to connect to shore power or generator even when it rains or is cloudy all day. ( this happens often July- August Monsoon)

So we have about 1550.00 in solar panels
300.00 in controllers

2000.00 in batteries

250. in wire

200.00 Breakers panels and boxes

300.00 in mounting hardware and materials

Total system cost to be free from the grid and Mobile = $4350.00 Optimistically puts our Electrical power cost at about 18.00 per month over 20 years.
The guy Marc in Albuquerque is now in Florida. I think he is still doing wholesale solar stuff.

The surplussolar.com guys are just gone.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:23 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
My go-to in the Phoenix valley...or even if I needed them shipped...is SanTan Solar. https://santansolar.com/. They have new and quality used panels (with a guarantee). Super cheap, really...
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I just ordered sunpower from Santansolar..
Paid by credit card two weeks ago. Have not heard from them since about a shipping date.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
I just ordered sunpower from Santansolar..
Paid by credit card two weeks ago. Have not heard from them since about a shipping date.

Johan
Probably time to make a phone call. I followed the link here and looked at thier prices. Might be too good to be true. I may be in Phoenix in the next couple of weeks to pick up another bus I have purchased from Gilbert school systems, if I have the time I may try to check out Santans physical location.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:11 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
As an Arizona resident, I have been there and know them to be a valid/legit business. I have no affiliation, besides having bought from them. Juan and Michelle, with the Beginning From This Morning channel and site, bought their panels from them as well.

If there's a delay in shipping, I'd definitely give them a call.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:40 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
As an Arizona resident, I have been there and know them to be a valid/legit business. I have no affiliation, besides having bought from them. Juan and Michelle, with the Beginning From This Morning channel and site, bought their panels from them as well.

If there's a delay in shipping, I'd definitely give them a call.
Ross,
Thank you for the update. This is what skoolie community is all about. It is good to know they are on the up and up. I may even source some stock from them to have on hand for builders who come to our place for boondocking and building.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:35 PM   #14
Bus Nut

An Update and a New source of New low priced Solar Panels

Since I started this thread, the source for Sunpower panels dried up and blew away. Another user suggested santansolar.com They are out of Phoenix Az, and have some great prices on used solar panels and other equipment.

Recently a youtuber that I trust did a test of some New Bifacial panels. This guy is a little difficult for some people to watch because he is a bit OCD and spends a lot of time on details. This is one of the reasons I trust his results when he does a test. He is pretty meticulous.
so here is a link to his video: https://youtu.be/2onYsb9advE

A link to the bifacial panels he was talking about: https://shop.signaturesolar.us/produ...39544213536973

And a link to Signature Solar:https://shop.signaturesolar.us/

They are in Sulphur Springs Tx, North East of Dallas. They do ship and you can pick up locally.

Just a quick note: You can buy a pallet of 10 410W Bifaced panels from these guys for less than $2000.00 Ten of those panels will produce more than my 12 Sunpower panels and we are so pleased to never have to start the generator or connect to shore power. Not even to weld.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:53 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
I didn’t even click the link but I’m sure you’re You’re talking about Prowse. He’s a good source of info. For me the OCD style is an asset, not a barrier.

About the bifacials: they are amazing. Period. HOWEVER - for an RV/Skokie/bus/... conversion they are NOT getting the best option. 99% of us have our panels mounted flush with our roofs. You need to have the ability to let sunshine reach the backside of the biracial panels. That’s the whole concept of BI-facial.

So good monofacial panels remain the best option for almost anyone on this site.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:24 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert06840 View Post
I didn’t even click the link but I’m sure you’re You’re talking about Prowse. He’s a good source of info. For me the OCD style is an asset, not a barrier.

About the bifacials: they are amazing. Period. HOWEVER - for an RV/Skokie/bus/... conversion they are NOT getting the best option. 99% of us have our panels mounted flush with our roofs. You need to have the ability to let sunshine reach the backside of the biracial panels. That’s the whole concept of BI-facial.

So good monofacial panels remain the best option for almost anyone on this site.
You are correct about Prowse. The neat part about the test he did was that in the first phase he was laying them flat on concrete with just a brick to give them a small angle and was getting 385W of the rated 410. At less than $200.00 new and warrantied thats is fabulous. With a skoolie mounting flat above the white roof you will still receive some gain from the reflected light from the roof. Some folks create mounts that allow tilting when not rolling down the road.
One pallet of ten will produce more power than we have and we are really happy with our system.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:27 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Yeah, you are correct in the sense that they are so cheap that you might just as well go for the best with warranty.

I collected stats from my last two trips. The 400W system produces sometimes up to 2.5kWh a day, sometimes just a few hundred, on average a kWh or so. And this was in AUGUST.

Assuming similar performance from my upcoming system, I should get 6-8 kWh a day in similar conditions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8769.png
Views:	7
Size:	483.1 KB
ID:	57496
Old 05-16-2021, 09:53 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
Not even to weld.
Which inverter did you go for? Do you have a 48V system?

I’m going for 24 because my bus has a massive alternator that I may need during winter.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Yeah panels by the pallet can be cheap. Prowse's last vid iirc was on 250W panels for $50 a pop, as low as $70/ea shipped in the right volume. The 10x 305W ones I got by pallet last year via a second hand reseller for $0.50/w which I thought was awesome at the time is easily beaten by that price...

Ugh, can't wait for the last batch of my new batteries to arrive.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:50 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Yeah panels by the pallet can be cheap. Prowse's last vid iirc was on 250W panels for $50 a pop, as low as $70/ea shipped in the right volume. The 10x 305W ones I got by pallet last year via a second hand reseller for $0.50/w which I thought was awesome at the time is easily beaten by that price...

Ugh, can't wait for the last batch of my new batteries to arrive.
Hats really amazing about those 410W panels from Signature Solar is that they are New. With 30 year warranty.warranty