Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2020, 03:11 PM   #1

Tesla Battery Wiring with MPP Hybrid Solar Charger/Inverter

Wiring Diagram for my tesla module/ MPP Solar Charger/Inverter. Using a Victron BMV-712 to disconnect the circuit if the battery falls outside of the required temp or volts. What do you guys think?

https://ibb.co/CwL3z2q

BoulderToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:18 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Looks good (based on my limited knowledge--I don't know much about how to safely design a system around a tesla battery).

A couple thoughts:

- Will your system be floating or chassis grounded (i.e. will the negative terminal of your batteries or the negative busbar be bonded to the vehicle chassis)?
- You should check your inverter/charger manual to see if grounding the inverter chassis is recommended/required. My guess is that it is.
- You should consider grounding the frames of the PV panels if your system will be bonded to chassis, if it won't I'm not sure whether it is recommended to ground the panels or not. Do you know?
- Technically I believe the black busbar in your diagram is the negative busbar. negative =/= ground, though often they are conflated in automotive electrical. This is sorta just semantics, but it makes a confusing subject a little less confusing.
- Will you be using a BMS to protect those Tesla cells and protect yourself/your bus?
- Can you explain the logic of the 3 switches/relays? I've having trouble seeing how that part of the system is designed to operate based on the diagram alone, and my brain isn't working so good t̶o̶d̶a̶y̶ most days
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote