Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
They call it a "vandal lock"...

...and it sits to the right of the entrance of my IH CE-300. The seller didn't have a key so I bought a replacement lock from the dealer. There is a pigtail that ends at the lock with three white, one red and one black wire. Only one white and black wire were connected to the A and B terminals. Once replaced, it doesn't do squat, so can someone enlighten me as to how it should be wired and how it works?

Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I have no idea how they're wired, but when you turn the key clockwise you should hear a "thunk" and then your passenger door will not open; turn it counterclockwise and another "thunk" will unlock it.

For security purposes, they are absolutely freaking worthless. The lock thingamajig is only at the top so with a little bit force you can still pry the double doors open far enough for a person to slip inside. I relied on it for security when I first got my bus and lost about $500 worth of tools and power tools. Better to remove it entirely and bondo over the hole, and bolt a proper padlock hasp to the doors.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:02 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
For security purposes, they are absolutely freaking worthless. The lock thingamajig is only at the top so with a little bit force you can still pry the double doors open far enough for a person to slip inside.
Wowzers!

My double-door locks though the top of one of the doors. The two are connected though levers, and the other won't open. If you tried to pry it open, you would destroy the steel-framed door, likely shatter the glass, etc. It would not be easy without a big prybar - like 6' and even then you might struggle - I have a 4' one. It is remarkably secure. Easier to break glass. But the lock mechanism is welded into the door frame, and you can't get it apart to change the key-tumbler itself, which is loose and wearing out. Weird design.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:34 PM   #4
Bus Nut

No lock is perfect, that's not the point. The vandal lock on the IC buses is also supposed to disable the ignition. I just need the wiring diagram, not a security lecture.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:32 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
YouTube...no lectures...self reliance for free.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:35 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Thanks, but that has nothing to do with my bus. That's mechanical, as I mentioned in my original message I am looking for the wiring diagram or wiring instructions, which means it's electrical.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:57 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Alternatively, maybe someone with a CE-300 with a vandal lock, working or not, can take a picture of of the back of the lock showing which terminals are connected to the tabs on the lock? You'll have to remove the dash panel to take the pic but it's only four screws.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:01 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Oh, never mind. I never checked to see if the bus still had the vandal lock hardware behind the door over the entrance. It doesn't. So much for this.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:53 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 76
Already answered...never mind.
jjaj823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaj823 View Post
Already answered...never mind.
If you still want to know, the vandal lock is supposed to actuate an arm in the compartment above the door that locks the door, as well as a lock in the rear door. It also enables an interlock device that prevents the bus from starting. You can turn the key but all you get is the loud warning beep.

I think it gets removed because too often the arm gets stuck on the interlock switch and the bus won't start, so it becomes an easily-fixed PITA.

I wound up putting this in the front door... Sorry, the pic is sideways, I have to fix that...

... and some safety wire in the rear door that temporarily prevents the handle from moving.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:01 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I have no idea how they're wired, but when you turn the key clockwise you should hear a "thunk" and then your passenger door will not open; turn it counterclockwise and another "thunk" will unlock it.

For security purposes, they are absolutely freaking worthless. The lock thingamajig is only at the top so with a little bit force you can still pry the double doors open far enough for a person to slip inside. I relied on it for security when I first got my bus and lost about $500 worth of tools and power tools. Better to remove it entirely and bondo over the hole, and bolt a proper padlock hasp to the doors.
Sorry to hear that you had to learn that lesson the hard way. It's a bummer to get robbed.
We use our pit bull as our vandal lock. Generally if he eats a thief we don't have to feed him for a while.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the vandal lock is just that.. vandal lock.. works against school kids that would go in busses and cut the seats , throw dog poo all over, turn the headlights on etc..

even the bluebird lock with the pin throiugh the top of the door is pretty easy to break..

a bus driver window can be easily popped past its meager lock and a broom handle unlatches the main door for those that lock the main and climb out the side door..

if someone is looking for high $$$ stuff they are gonna get in unless you make your bus a metal dingy dark cave
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:14 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
Sorry to hear that you had to learn that lesson the hard way. It's a bummer to get robbed.
We use our pit bull as our vandal lock. Generally if he eats a thief we don't have to feed him for a while.
It's ok, I wasn't robbed, it was just removed before I bought it and it was on me to check for those things, but it's hard to check on things I don't know about and the mechanics don't even worry about.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the vandal lock is just that.. vandal lock.. works against school kids that would go in busses and cut the seats , throw dog poo all over, turn the headlights on etc..

even the bluebird lock with the pin throiugh the top of the door is pretty easy to break..

a bus driver window can be easily popped past its meager lock and a broom handle unlatches the main door for those that lock the main and climb out the side door..

if someone is looking for high $$$ stuff they are gonna get in unless you make your bus a metal dingy dark cave
No security system is perfect. Mine is just meant to slow down the jackwagons until one of my 9mm rounds catch up with them.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
I wound up putting this in the front door...

... and some safety wire in the rear door that temporarily prevents the handle from moving.
I use a clevis pin on the back door to keep that latch handle from opening. Only locks from the inside, though. It looks like it accepts a "keyed insert lock", which is stored on the sidewall next to the door and rear heater, with the buzzer behind it. But the key they gave me that should fit that lock doesn't work.

anyways...
I like that lock on your front door. That is a pic of the outside? Inside? If it is inside, how does it fasten on the other side? Or Is it riveted, and maybe the rivets don't go all the way through the door frame? Link to the lock, maybe? I've never seen one like that. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
I like that lock on your front door. That is a pic of the outside? Inside? If it is inside, how does it fasten on the other side? Or Is it riveted, and maybe the rivets don't go all the way through the door frame? Link to the lock, maybe? I've never seen one like that. Thanks!
It's on the outside, if it were on the inside I wouldn't be able to lock it and walk away . It's a Master Lock Model #M736XKAD 9.06-in Steel Keyed Padlock. You drill 3/8" holes and use 2-1/2" carriage bolts with washers and nylon nuts on the other side.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:47 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
It's on the outside, if it were on the side I wouldn't be able to lock it and walk away . It's a Master Lock Model #M736XKAD 9.06-in Steel Keyed Padlock. You drill 3/8" holes and use 2-1/2" carriage bolts with washers and nylon nuts on the other side.
Key goes in the "right-hand" side?
Can or can not be locked from the inside? I can lock my door from the outside, just not the inside. When I boondock in the city, I have to lock the door from the outside, then go around to the back and in that door, which only locks from the inside....

Nylon or Nylock?
Thanks for the info on the model #
Old 09-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
Key goes in the "right-hand" side?
Can or can not be locked from the inside? I can lock my door from the outside, just not the inside. When I boondock in the city, I have to lock the door from the outside, then go around to the back and in that door, which only locks from the inside....

Nylon or Nylock?
Thanks for the info on the model #
Yes, key on the right, which lets you slide out the pin that locks everything. It is locked from the outside. When I am inside I rely on other, more persuasive means. Eventually I will install something on the rear door that can be easily opened from the inside in an emergency, possibly a pin with a handle. And I meant nuts with nylon inserts. Nyloc isn the same thing, just a name that became popular for the nylon insert tech. It is also a trademark in Australia. You can also use regular nuts and split washers. or drilled nuts and safety wire.