Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Van
Engine: 5.7L Gas
Thoughts on used lithium Batteries?

I would love to go with Lithium ion batteries due to the smaller, lighter batteries as well as the longer life span. But the price is obviously substantial. Do you guys have any thoughts on used Valence U27-12XP batteries? I have found the following facebook marketplace page:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3735984834223/

He has the software to check the batteries and looks like they have been cycled around 335 cycles (so less then 10 percent of their rated cycles).

I would buy 3 of these batteries for a battery bank size around 400Ah. What are your guys thoughts on these batteries assuming they are in good shape as he describes?

mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 27
If you know of the risks of Li-Ion batteries, how to balance them, atc then get em, I paid 270 per 24V*65AH battery out of a fiat 500E.
So I paid 176$ per KW.
These are a bit pricier at 231$ per KW, but not outrageous. For a tested battery I would consider it a good deal.

Make sure you know that you can not charge them below 0'C or you will ruin their capacity as well as make them sensitive to shock and vibration. AKA battery fire.
Jsneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #3
Skoolie

Chassis: Van
Engine: 5.7L Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsneeb View Post
If you know of the risks of Li-Ion batteries, how to balance them, atc then get em, I paid 270 per 24V*65AH battery out of a fiat 500E.
So I paid 176$ per KW.
These are a bit pricier at 231$ per KW, but not outrageous. For a tested battery I would consider it a good deal.

Make sure you know that you can not charge them below 0'C or you will ruin their capacity as well as make them sensitive to shock and vibration. AKA battery fire.
Gotcha. I have done a decent amount of research on the proper care/ risks for Li-Ion batteries so I think I have it under control for the most part. I was a little confused while researching about balancing. These batteries have built in BMS's to balance the cells within each individual battery but I wasn't sure if they worked to make sure that the entire battery is balanced compared to the other two batteries in my future bank. I wasn't sure if I needed something separate to make sure the batteries themselves were all even.
mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote