Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #1

trickle charging the starting battery from solar or shore power

Howdy,
I have been checking out the DC-DC chargers which I understand would do a good job of charging my house batteries when the alternator is running.

What I am not seeing is something that goes the other way, so when I am plugged into shore power or just parked in the sun and the solar is rolling I want a trickle charge to go to my starting battery so it is always topped off when I fire up the bus. Sometimes I will go a month or two without driving and the 7.3 powerstroke likes a full battery to start.
It seems like this could all be the same unit, a bidirectional dc-to-dc charger that is optimized with current limiting.

Or maybe there is a solution where I could have a AC circuit that would fire up only when my house battery bank was topped off that would run a battery tender (https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...dp/B000CITK8S/) ? Or I could just put a battery tender on a timer and run it for a couple hours in the afternoon?

How are other people keeping their starting batteries topped off?

colorado_hick is offline   Reply With Quote