Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2021, 06:45 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I agree with Jolly. Stop throwing parts at it until you know which parts to throw.

Since your batteries are new, it's important to take care of them. Testing can drain the battery, so you want to make sure you're checking the battery voltage and keep it up around 12.5v - 12.8v.

Testing to see if you are even getting power to the solenoid is key. The solenoid is connected directly to the battery bank. If you batteries are charged properly, you are getting 12v+ to the solenoid and the starting isn't cranking, then no matter what you change out or try to do will get the motor to crank.

If you are getting power to the solenoid, then you can try and jump the solenoid and see if the starter cranks. If it doesn't, the starter is probably bad.

If the starter cranks, then it's somewhere between between the ignition and the batteries.

Keep isolating until you find the bastard culprit then attack and conquer!

Old 03-28-2021, 09:55 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
To piggy back on the excellent "label the wires" suggestions ahead of me, I use and really like these things. You'll see in this screenshot that I just ordered more recently. I like that I can not only label, but color code. Don't cut the red wire...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 7.53.17 PM.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	55763
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:11 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Sorry, late to the game, the econolone have a starter relay mounted next to one of the headlight units. This is like a round can with two 5/16 screw terminals. One of the terminals goes to plus battery.. the other to the starter solenoid.
Activating that relay will activate the starter motor..so find the wire under the steering column that comes from the key switch. This wire probably was cut to insert the start protection functions... One of them being the park or neutral switch, others might be back door and escape hatch.

Good luck

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:32 PM   #24

Check the fuse in the chassis fuse block that controls the transmission position sensor. The signal to the solenoid starts at the ignition switch then goes through the transmission shift selector then probably to the locks on the doors. The bus will not crank if the emergency exit doors are locked typically with the slide bolt.
alandennis is offline   Reply With Quote