Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #1

Trouble Starting 1998 Thomas Int DT466

Hey y’all, my girlfriend and her brother went to get new batteries when I was out of town and appently set the two 12 V batteries in series instead of parallel. The battery control switch was set in the “off” position (though i’m not sure if it works because I think it was still pulling power in the “off” position, hence the new batteries) and the batteries made quite a big spark from what I’m told. Yesterday I took the batteries inTo oreilly’s and were told they were bad and put two new ones in the bus. The airlock brakes buzz to alert me that there isnt enought air pressure and the gauges on the dash all flick on but it doesn’t turn over when I turn the key.

Thanks in advance!

Zach

Zachga22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Well, that was a big whoopsie.

If you don't have a multimeter, time to buy one.

Go through the fuses, trace wires, and see where you do and don't have power. Your starter will have a big wire from the battery to it, and a little wire to turn it on and off. With the key in the start position, you should have voltage on the little wire. If you don't, the power for that little wire can go through several different interlocks and safety switches that might be in the wrong position or failed. There is no real easy way for any of us online to troubleshoot this, it requires a step by step process by someone there at the bus.

What engine and transmission do you have? If they're both mechanical, you might be fine. Electronic on either, though, will have computers that control them, and those computers could have been damaged by the battery mess up.