Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2022, 06:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP 10 window SPED FE
Engine: Cummins ISB 230 5.9, Allison 2500
Rated Cap: GVWR 31,350lbs, 39 pass
Troubleshooting Thomas gauges

Hello fellow travelers,
I have a 2007 Thomas MVP saf-T-liner with a 5.9 cummins. It has the round gauges that are daisy-chained together. I’m told that if 1 of the data wiring goes bad it will effect all gauges downstream. All the gauges in this series aren’t working and I’m curious how to differentiate between if it’s bad wiring, bad gauges, or bad source on the back of the circuit board. Anyone have any recommendations? Thomas quoted me $350 for the gauges! (Engine temp, oil pressure & tachometer.) Also, I’ve read that Cadillackid is using an interface for gauges and I like this idea very much. Will y’all throw any and all recommendations my way to delete this cluster and switch to a digital display? TIA
Attached Thumbnails
BB623AF1-F4AC-434D-94AA-783D47E29DE5.jpg  

Trailerparkjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:36 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
I’ve had this problem! First, get yourself a BlueFire adapter so you can set up a digital dash on a tablet or your phone. Only thing you can’t get is air pressure (which is mechanical so it should still work) and fuel level.

Then, try unplugging the gauges in the daisy chain one at a time to see if the others start working. Once it starts working the last gauge you unplugged is your bad one.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:38 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Also I bought an entire gauge cluster on eBay that might be cross compatible so if you find your bad gauge if I have it to spare I’ll sell you the one you need. The whole cluster I bought was like $300 so hopefully I can save you some money!
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 04:10 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: MVP 10 window SPED FE
Engine: Cummins ISB 230 5.9, Allison 2500
Rated Cap: GVWR 31,350lbs, 39 pass
Thank you very much for the info. I used the data wires off the Speedo (that I know are good) and tried to troubleshoot each individual gauge with no success. I think it’s odd that 4 gauges (all daisy-chained off the same port) would be bad. I looked into the blue fire and may still go that route but don’t own a tablet that I could use. I found a less expensive option on Amazon called a scangauge. It isn’t pretty but it did the trick. Plugs into the j1939 and displays all the info except fuel level. My senders are all working but it did let me diagnose a sticking thermostat. My 2007 Thomas has an older style gauge and I found a newer style cluster on eBay I’m thinking about buying. Do you know of any source that talks about gauge cluster interchangeability between years?
Trailerparkjackson is offline   Reply With Quote