Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2022, 11:03 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Thomas Vista
Engine: DT 408 6.7L
Rated Cap: 72
Turn Signal & Flasher Issue 1994 International Thomas Vista 6.7L DT 408

Hello, all I am experiencing a weird electrical gremlin and need some assistance I've included pics and will try to have a clear explanation of the problem.

My turn signals and hazards have always appropriately functioned, some marker lights and 2 brake lights were out on the back of my bus so I decided to change them and upgrade all marker lights etc to LED.

I changed all lights on the bus, the right marker on the rear (see pic with mark up) was not functioning so I went to check it with a multimeter. Not thinking I ended up in the brake light beside it by accident, while checking the small space my multi-meter prongs made contact and a small spark occurred. Note this was in the brake light not the turn signal.

ok so after I check the fuses for brake lights and it's fine, so I replace the lights and put things back and go to test my lights. Now I find all lights are functioning except the turn signals and hazards.

I get no clicking or lights when using right and left signal and hazards, but if I put the switch to left or right then put the hazards on and off I get 1 click and 1 flash from the signal on the side that the switch is set to.... ok?

So I start from scratch:
- Check grounds on all lights they all seem good and I am getting function from all brake and marker lights
- Check fuses they are good, 1 blown fuse for horn and fogs I replace that no change to function
- using the turn signal plus hazard to get 1 flash I test all lights and find all my turn signals are receiving power and lighting up

so I get a new mechanical clicker unit from the store, plug it in and now I cant even get 1 flash from anything, totally dead.

Back to Lordco and I swap the flasher for a new one, plug it in and now I get a steady dim light in all signals when using the hazards, and dim steady light in the corresponding side of signals when using the left and right signal..... no clicking or on-off action. If I switch back to the old clicker I again get 1 full brightness to click and light on all signals when using hazards or signals.

So I am stumped, it seems like the clicker unit is the problem as the switch is doing what it should and the change seems to come with the change of the mechanical clicker. I am going to go to Napa to check the clicker part again and see if they have a different brand.

Any ideas are welcome, I am totally stumped! Pics for the explanation of fuse panel, clickers and lights.

Thanks in advance guys, I have read other threads with similar issues but no fixes from those have helped me, I am very confused by the fact it worked one second then didn't with no direct cause, and that it still seems to partially work!
Attached Thumbnails
Asset 11.jpg   Asset 10.jpg   Asset 9.jpg   Asset 8.jpg   Asset 7.jpg  

Asset 6.jpg   Asset 5.jpg   Asset 4.jpg   Asset 3.jpg   Asset 2.jpg  

Asset 1.jpg  

Old 07-28-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
You need an electronic flasher module designed to work with the leds.

Here's a link to the flasher we used. They're sold on Amazon among other places. Like the site says, the 'RLNP' version is the most flexible, as it doesn't care how the socket is wired. Just plug it in, attach the wire terminal to chassis ground, and you should be good to go.

EF32RL Flashers

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:48 AM   #3
Almost There

Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
You need an electronic flasher module designed to work with the leds.

Here's a link to the flasher we used. They're sold on Amazon among other places. Like the site says, the 'RLNP' version is the most flexible, as it doesn't care how the socket is wired. Just plug it in, attach the wire terminal to chassis ground, and you should be good to go.

EF32RL Flashers
Awesome! Thanks so much for the reply this seems like the exact solution. I am going to run out and see if I can find it locally or I will get it online. Wicked you saved me!
Old 07-28-2022, 11:54 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Went through it myself. No worries! Keep your receipt, but I'm 99% sure this will fix you up.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:41 PM   #5
Almost There

Yup Solved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Went through it myself. No worries! Keep your receipt, but I'm 99% sure this will fix you up.
Thanks a million! I can confirm this solved the issue. I could not find the part locally so I just got 4 standard bulbs and swapped them back and it fixed the issue immediately. I'm going to order it online right now so I can swap back my LED when it comes in